Win XP wont recognize my XL at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old March 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Win XP wont recognize my XL

It worked fine a week ago. But now my Win XP SP1 wont recognize my XL. it works fine with my Panasonic DVX and Sony DSR but it wont pickup the canon. Anyone have this problem?
Gregory Doi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 07:58 AM   #2
RED Code Chef

My XL1S (when I still had it) was never recognized by Windows.

The question is, does it still work in your capture program? If not
you may have a blown firewire port on your camera. Do a search
of that on the forum and you will find numerous threads on the
subject.

It is not adviced to connect the camera to the computer (or
disconnect it) when it is powered. Power it down first before
doing that. I would also first ad the cable to the camera and then
plug the other end in the computer (so no power is on the cable)

Rob Lohman, visuar@iname.com
DV Info Wrangler & RED Code Chef

Join the DV Challenge | Lady X

Search DVinfo.net for quick answers | Buy from the best: DVinfo.net sponsors
Rob Lohman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2005, 12:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

camera is ok

My camera is ok. It still works on my MAC. And my other cameras still work on my PC. So its just the Canon that wont be recognized. Its kinda weird. It never needed a driver before but all of a sudden it stopped working. I cant figure it out. Im using Vegas5 as a NLE. any other suggestions
Old March 20th, 2005, 12:50 AM   #4
Major Player

I have a similar problem.

Xl1s and three xl1 cams not detected by my computer.
PC, Win xp pro (no service patch 2 as I believe this is a security patch and video editor is not on the net) yet, domestic Sony handycam can be seen by and works with computer.

Xl1s and xl1 and Sony Handycam all connect to each other via firewire and will copy tapes from each other.

I've been trying to resolve this for years.

I thought buying an xl1s would fix it. But no.

Some say Canons are not true IE 1394 compliant. Yet they talk to the Sony Handycam.

Some say the firewire card in the computer is faulity, yet it works with the Sony Handycam. Firewire card is Texas Instruments OHCI compliant IEEE 1394.

One of my editing software programmes give a selection between MS 1394 and TI 1394. Yet neither works with the Canons.

Can anybody help please?
Old March 20th, 2005, 01:07 AM   #5
Major Player

To track down this problem maybe a syep by step process.
I have installed xl1S to various systems and they all work fine.Actually never had any system(from win 98 to xp pro) fail to recognize.So it can be done.
Gregory, your install sequence , did you .....a/ power off camera
b/ connect firewire cable c/ power on camera ?Does it reconize anything?eg new hardware found
What card manufacture are you using.Some firewir cards maybe giving you trouble
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2005, 04:11 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Everything works except XL

Both my Panasonic and Sony get recognized instantly. Also my 2 firewire harddrives get recognized. All these equipment work on all three of my firewire ports. My Canon works perfectly on my MAC FCP comp but it just wont work on my PC. It used to work about three weeks ago. it just stopped all of a sudden. I can find any support for the problem. Its weird how it works on my MAC but wont work on my PC. Im lost on the problem
Old March 20th, 2005, 05:22 PM   #7
Major Player

Gregory,what is your install sequence?
Old March 20th, 2005, 06:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

all cameras and computers are powered off then connected through firwire. then the camera is turned on then the computer. I have also tried other things like pugging in the camera while both the computer and camera is on. then i tried pluggin in the camera while the computer is on and the camera is off then turing the camera on. none worked. But all sequences work fine with my other cameras.
Old March 20th, 2005, 09:02 PM   #9
Major Player

When you have the computer on ,camera off, connect firewire cable to both then power up the camera, does windows respond with a new hardware found?
Old March 20th, 2005, 10:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

no nothing happens.
Old March 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Major Player

Have you tried the DV mode in the menu. I cannot remember the exact wording or what its on the menu in the camera, but I remember having the same problem and I had to adjust the DV from analog to digital in the menu system. Once I made this change then it worked. I think its so firewire can support analog or digital signal. So if this is not set then the firewire cable cannot find the camera on the other end. So the problem was in the camera configuration not in the lead or computer.

Sorry I don't have one at hand at this moment, but hopefully you can understand.
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM   #12
Major Player

Having thought more about it...I believe the problem was with the DV CONTROL in the System Menu. I think if this was ON or OFF it made it not be detected by the computer. So If I remember right that was the problem I had. I know that it was not my PC machine as I had used PD150 and other Sonys work off the cable. My little PC100 would work but XL1s would not, until I changed the setting.

If you have already tried this...then problem must lie somewhere else
Christopher Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2005, 10:37 PM   #13
Major Player

Does DV in show up on the cameras viewfinder when connected and powered on?
Sorry about the single question replies.But we need to step thru to find the cause.It could be this or it could be that ,I find the best solution is to start from scratch and cover the bases.I hope not to put you off by this method.I'm sure we can determine the problem
Old March 22nd, 2005, 02:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

THanks for all the help guys. i wont have the camera with me til tuesday so i will try and look at the setting then. once again. i appreciate the help because im totally lost on the issue at this point. everything else works except the canon.
Old March 22nd, 2005, 04:09 PM   #15
Major Player

Jack Smith wrote.

^Does DV in show up on the cameras viewfinder when connected and powered on?^

In my case 'no', not when the computer is connected. Only when connected to another dv device.

I've been knawing onto Canon about this and are to take the camera into them after Easter.

Will let you know what transpires.

Thank you for your help guys.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog