DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1S + Polarizer + Lens Hood (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/41632-xl1s-polarizer-lens-hood.html)

Ed Baatz March 22nd, 2005 06:54 PM

XL1S + Polarizer + Lens Hood

How can I rotate (adjust) a polarizer filter without having to remove the rectangular lens hood?

I remember seeing a tip somewhere that one possibility was that the lens hood could have a small finger hole cut into it so that the filter could be rotated, but that seems pretty scary. Maybe time to break out the good ole Dremel?

Also, where might I get another Canon lens hood for the XL1S and about how much would it cost?

Rob Lohman March 23rd, 2005 05:58 AM

What kind of filter do you have? Mine had a rotatable front-end
end I could just rotate it (carefully) with everything on.

Robert J. Wolff March 23rd, 2005 07:16 AM

Take a swizzel stick, and some of the elastic rubber "stuff" that they use for magazine inserts. Attatch "stuff" to the end of the stick.

You can rotate the filter fairly easily, without getting your hand in the shot (assuming that is what your plans were).

And there is no residue left on the edge of the filter.

Ed Baatz March 23rd, 2005 03:02 PM

Rob & Robert,

The B+W linear polarizing filter on my 16x lens does have to be rotated, but the standard Canon lens hood hinders physical access to the polarizer and I can not rotate the filter without getting my fingers in the shots...

The swizzel stick technique sounds interesting, but I'm not sure how that would actually function. When the lens hood is on the lens, the edge of the filter is not easily accessible (either to my fingers or to anything else inserted from in front of the lens).

Maybe I am just not getting the idea? The filter turns fairly easily, but it still requires some effort to rotate it. I would have thought that a swizzel stick would not be stiff enough, even if it could be used without being visible in the shot.

Or, do you drill a small hole in the lens hood to fit the stick through?

Thanks a lot for trying to explain it to me!

Robert J. Wolff March 23rd, 2005 05:54 PM

Piece of Cake!

Just stick it to the rotating section of the filter. Than push up, or, down as you wish. Nothing complicated. No drill holes. No #2 cameraman "stick" mover. No thumb in the shot. You should be able to do better than 60 to 90 degrees of rotation.

Might I suggest that you stick it in the North East corner of the lens shade, and rotate from there.

When I travel in the boondocks, I have to travel light. And, only with the simple items that work every time.

Give it a "shot"!

Ed Baatz March 23rd, 2005 06:27 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Robert J. Wolff : Piece of Cake! Give it a "shot"! -->>>

I'm heading out tonight in search of a swizzle stick now...

Next question is where can I get the "rubber stuff"?

My last question HAS to be which North East corner? When looking at the filter or when looking thru the filter... (assuming of course that North East is equivalent to say, 1 o'clock?)

I just realized that I really don't adjust the polarizer while running tape, but rather during the set-up process before shooting --- so maybe it's all a moot point after all.

In any case, the swizzle stick might well be the best way to rotate the filter anyways? Probably beats putting my sticky fingerprints all over the filter's surface. ;)

Robert J. Wolff March 24th, 2005 05:29 AM

Ed.

As I mentioned eariler, I use the stuff that they hold inserts in mag's with, such as subscription's.

You are correct on the clock. NE would be @ 2. Pick your own corner as you see fit. I operate on the premise of camera left/right, as opposed to stage left/right.

Yes, it does beat blocking your view, especially with gloves on.

I don't allow sticky fingers of any kind near my camera or lens. That's why I have a large sissors handy.

Yes, it is a moot point. If you are not going to rotate the filter to add/kill spectral reflections while shooting, ignore all of the above.