XL1S- chewing tapes... can anyone help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 29th, 2001, 08:53 AM   #1
Registration incomplete -- contact admin

XL1S- chewing tapes... can anyone help

Hi, Ive had my XL1S for about 3 weeks now and its been performing beatifully.. until just now..

i wanted to capture footage, some shot on a Sony DSR 150 and some on the xl1s.. when all of sudden i heard a crinkle noise and the tape stopped.. i ejected it.. and the tape was all chewed.. so i pulled it out wound it up.. and went on to put in another tape.. it played for so long then the same thing.... tape chewed..

i remember reading a heading on a noticboard, saying something about the xl1s chewing tapes.... or does it just not like a tape recorded in another camera been played back through it...

would a tape cleaner help..?

Can anyone offer any advice.. please... :)
CMBmovies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 09:01 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Try a head cleaner first, but you'll probably have to send it in for service. Apparantly there was a bad production batch and you may have been unlucky enough to have one of those cameras.

Service center contact info is on my website, the XL1 Watchdog, on the page called "The Skinny."

The message board you saw was most likely this one... there are two other threads on this topic. I think I need to combine 'em all into one thread. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 10:56 AM   #3

Thanks

Im in england so the usa service centre details are no good.

ive found a tech support link on canon.co.uk.

so ill try there unless you have any uk service centre details?

Ill pick up a dv head cleaner tomorrow and if that doesnt work i guess its going back... canon wont charge for repair will they?

Thanks for your help

Colin B
Old November 29th, 2001, 11:38 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Colin,

My apologies for not noticing your location outside the US. I made sure I provided a way for you guys to tell everyone where you're from, and then I ignore my own standards! Arrggh, crikey.

It's been a goal of mine to list *all* of Canon's service centers worldwide, but as you can see it hasn't happened yet. I don't know whether Canon UK will charge you or not... they shouldn't but whether they will or not, I don't know.

Please let us all know what happens,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2001, 02:53 PM   #5

didnt my accent give me away? lol

mi gonna call the canon service centre in morning

On another board its been suggested that i insert a tape fast forward to the end to loosen it (the tape tension i presume) and then try rewinding...

and clean the heads of course..

i havent a head cleaner.. have to get one..

i really want this to be a prob i can fix myself.. but something tells me its not that simple..

in your experience.. what is the turn around like..

say if i send my canon away on monday..
when would it return.. a few days.. (fri) or after xmas?? something inbetween???

thanks agian for your help..

Colin
Old November 30th, 2001, 04:28 AM   #6

Ojay Dokey, Just got of the phone with the helpline. Spoke to a nice girl called Kim and she said to send it in for repair. The turn around time for which is 2 weeks. Which means i should get it back in time for christmas.. and a shoot on the 17th... which is good :)

i did some more experimenting last night with old tapes.. its definatly the same problem as the other threads
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=258

When i rewind a tape, the machine either stops and tells me to ejects it.. or makes a crinkly noise and chews it. Im using mostly JVC tapes for those wanting to know, but testes a variet of others. I havent really noticed before. cos ive been shooting a lot and only now come to edit... and ive watched the rushes back on the dv players at work. so not used my camera much as a player.

so ill pack it up and send it in monday
I forgot to ask tho.. im presuming i just send the body in.. is that right?

thanks, Colin
Old December 3rd, 2001, 05:32 AM   #7

Sent back 2 canon.....

Hi, i just sent the body of my camera back to canon at a cost of just over £18.

anyhow... ill keep you updated, when i get it back.. soon i hope. -fingers crossed-

Colin
CMBmovies is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog