Purchasing XL-1s in Asia at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 12th, 2002, 07:10 PM   #1
BuzzMeeks

Purchasing XL-1s in Asia

Hi everyone,

Can anyone recommend a good video equipment dealer in Asia where I can buy a PAL XL-1s at a reasonable price? Expandore has turned out to be quite unreliable and all my net searches show only U.S. companies. Any suggestions on a couple reputable Asian dealers?

Thanks in advance,

Buzz
Old October 12th, 2002, 08:09 PM   #2
Trustee

Buzz,

Asia is a big place, where in Asia are you?
Adrian Douglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2002, 08:48 PM   #3
BuzzMeeks

Hey Adrian,

I'll be teaching filmmaking in Bhutan but am hoping to buy it in Thailand, Singapore, India, Japan or elsewhere and ship it.

thanks,

Buzz
Old October 13th, 2002, 10:44 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Buzz:
I'm in New Delhi, and I'm looking to buy an XL1S as well. The main Canon DV dealer in India is an outfit based in Chennai (Madras) called Shetala Agencies. The address is:
Shetala Agencies Pvt. Ltd.
Seshan Enclave,
Basement, 10, George Avenue,
Kasturi Estates,
Chennai - 600 018 (INDIA)
Tel: +91-044-4670732/4670734
Fax: +91-044-4670373
Email: shetala@giasmd01.vsnl.net.in

They're offering the standard kit (with IS-II lens) for the XL1S...unlike ZGC, they're not offering a body + lens type of combination (pity). The manual 14x lens is an additional (along with carry case, EF adapter, 3x wide, and different battery unit - and they haven't so much as mentioned the 16x manual lens)
The price they've given me for the standard kit is Indian Rupees 2,75,000 (Approx USD 5729!! Talk of customs markups!)
They still haven't given me a costing for optionals like the MA-200...Official servicing is available only at their Chennai office.
Hope this helps...
I'm exploring options too...so let me know in case you find other dealers and how the costing works out for Singapore or elsewhere.
Best,
Ram
Ram Nagarajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2002, 11:14 PM   #5
BuzzMeeks

Hey Ram,

That's a ridiculous price. You're better off getting it from the States and paying the additional shipping. You'll still come out ahead.

Also, it seems when you do the math, you get hosed on the kit. The standard lens, although not desirable, costs about $1400 retail, yet if you buy the kit (sans lens), they only drop the price by about $200. Seems you're better off getting the whole camera then selling off the standard lens later. Gotta get more than 200 for it, right?

If you come across someplace new, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Brad

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog