DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Hand Grip belt bust!!! Anyone have this happen?? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4325-hand-grip-belt-bust-anyone-have-happen.html)

robmckoen October 14th, 2002 11:51 AM

Hand Grip belt bust!!! Anyone have this happen??

Last night I was shooting a wedding when the attachment bar for the grip belt busted and my XL1 fell to the ground and busted the viewfinder.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them? I have owned this camera just over a year and a half. Purchased it from a third party who had it for only half a year. So the camera is only two years old. Should this be happening?

I am very livid right now as my warranty is non existent. Does anyone think that I might have a case of manufacturers defect and be able to get Canon to fix the problem free of charge? Or am I just screwed?? Also what kind of costs am I looking at in terms of shop costs?

Thanks for the help in advance

Rob

Jeff Donald October 14th, 2002 12:11 PM

If I understand correctly, your referring to the hand strap that attaches to the side of the camera, adjusts with velcro. If that's the case I have never seen one break. The material (plastic compound of some sort) seems very robust and unlikely to have been molded or formed wrong. Don't take this wrong, but my best guess is that physical contact would have had to occur for those connections to become weakened or damaged.

Your argument will be with Canon. It can't hurt to politely ask for a warranty repair. The worst thing that will happen is they say no. But they might agree or give a discount on the service. My feeling is it never hurts to ask. The warranty period is very clear and you are outside the time so I wouldn't have high hopes.

Jeff

Ed Frazier October 14th, 2002 01:33 PM

Did the strap break or the point where the strap is attached break? Is it possible that the piece had broken before you purchased the camera and the repair, made by the previous owner, simply failed? Just a thought.

Don Palomaki October 14th, 2002 06:54 PM

Which part of the attachment bar?

By the pause button or the front of the camera?

Never heard of either end breaking?

robmckoen October 14th, 2002 07:13 PM

Broke where the pause button is. I was holding it down at my knee and the camera just fell. not a sound was made and before it hit the ground or it hasn't been fixed before. that part busted which lead to the viewfinder pivot part breaking. I am sure it's an easy fix for the viewfinder but I am not to sure about the handle as I have not been able to get it completely off. There are two visible screws but it is still attached after screws taken out.

I was shocked to see my camera lying on the ground in pieces. A tad frustrating and a learning experience.

Rob