DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Can XL1 run 2 wireless mics on separate channels? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4370-can-xl1-run-2-wireless-mics-separate-channels.html)

jdpinckert October 16th, 2002 08:55 AM

Can XL1 run 2 wireless mics on separate channels?

I have an XL1, (not an XL1s) that I need to run 2 wireless mics
into. Can you do this with an XL1 and get 2 separate channels
of audio?

I have the capability to have 2 separate receivers for each wireless if I need to. I also have the 2 Channel XLR adapter
to RCA inputs into the XL1

Phil French October 16th, 2002 04:23 PM

your XL1 can run two mics of any kind on separate channels.

Nathan Gifford October 17th, 2002 08:08 AM

You can run the audio in on either Audio 1, or put the cam into 4 channel (12-bit) mode and run the audio in Audio 2.

jdpinckert October 17th, 2002 08:28 AM

Thanks for you help!
I did a test, and the XL1 (not XL1 s) does not have 12 bit
mode, allowing it to run 2 true separate channels.

You can, however, run 2 channels by using Audio 1 and putting
it into Mic mode in the Menu.

Thanks!

Jeremy

Jeff Donald October 17th, 2002 08:42 AM

Hi Jeremy,

The XL1 does indeed have 4 channels of 12 bit, 32hKz audio. Details on setting the modes are on page 36 and 37 of the manual. Page 38 will explain 4 channel recording. If after reviewing the manual, I know it's not very detailed, you still have questions, post back and I'll try to help.

The manual can be down loaded from Canon's site as a PDF also.

Jeff

Nathan Gifford October 17th, 2002 11:21 AM

I use 4-channel all the time on the XL-1

Like Jeff says, its in the manual. I would recommend experimenting with 4-channel before making a commitment. If you are using a NLE like Vegas Video or Premiere, you will need a product like Screalyzer to pull in the sub (Audio 2) channels.

Don Palomaki October 17th, 2002 07:15 PM

Yes - it is possible to record up to 4 audio channels at one time in 12-bit mode. And many NLE systems no not support support 4-channel capture via firewire. If that is you rsigtuation, youmay find it necessary to captture the Audio2 channel via an analog sound card.

Note also that in 4-channel mode you mayl have fun riding levels in manual mode. And if using AGC mode, the left and right channels of each audio pair may interact via the AGC (i.e., loud left channel may also pull down the level of the corresponding right channel audio)

Edward Troxel October 18th, 2002 10:25 AM

As Nathan said, Scenalyzer Live works very well to capture the second audio track via firewire. In fact, the newest beta version will capture ALL 4 TRACKS via firewire in ONE pass along with the video. Video and Stereo 1 go into an .avi file and Stereo 2 goes to a separate .wav file - all via firewire in one pass.

As for the volume levels, stereo 2, in manual mode, has a separate volume control for left and right. Managing the volume should not be a problem for the two mics. Plus, by using stereo 2, you still have the on-camera mic to get the ambient sound on stereo 1 - this is VERY important in many situations.

And, yes, both the XL-1 and XL-1s do 4 channel.