Dropout mystery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:05 PM   #1
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Dropout mystery

I'm having a tape dropout problem that has me bewildered. I'm using Panasonic DVM63MQ tapes in an XL-1. I taped a long training session that used up five tapes. On the fourth tape ONLY, I get dropouts, split frames, pixelation, dropped audio...but it's sporadic. If I hit fast-forward or rewind, the footage goes back to normal. If it starts acting up and I hit pause, then play again, it goes back to normal, but then starts acting up again.

What would make one tape do this when the others don't? And why would FF, rewind, or pause temporarily correct the problem?

I've cleaned my heads several times, but this one tape keeps acting up. The confusing thing is the dropouts happen in different places after cleaning, pause, FF, or RW.

(Nope...haven't used any other tapes in my camera...ever. Always DVM63MQ (except for the Canon head cleaner tape). And yep, I used the dry Canon head cleaner tape several times.)

Any tips on saving the footage (which doesn't appear to be lost)?
Old May 2nd, 2005, 01:35 PM   #2
Trustee

Hmm, don't really know John, but could it be a head alignment problem? A difference between your camera and your deck (Or are you using the camera as a deck?)

Aaron
Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:06 PM   #3

Hi Aaron,

Yep...I'm using the camera as a deck. I guess I'll need to get my hands on another camcorder to see if I can salvage it. Not easy to find in these here parts.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:07 PM   #4
Major Player

John, you can use any dv camera to play back the footage but that may not be be the problem.Is the footage on tape 4 any different? ( more contrast or faster motion or poor lighting)
Jack Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2005, 10:09 PM   #5

Jack,

It's all the same setup, lighting, speaker, etc.
Old May 4th, 2005, 12:18 PM   #6

Well... looks like the mystery is going to be solved one way or another. She just died this morning. Dead as a door nail. So I'm packing her up to send to New Jersey.

Keep your fingers crossed for me! [gulp]

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog