Wide Angle with the XL1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 30th, 2001, 08:09 AM   #1
New Boot

Wide Angle with the XL1?

I am working on a new short digital film and need a wide angle lens for the XL1. I have looked at the Canon's 3x Wide Angle Lens, but for $1300... I have also looked into the Century Optics Adapter. Which one of these would be suggested? Which one is more worth the money? Is there any other way for me to get a widescreen shot with a 40% more field of view? Also --> if the film was released for actual Motion Picture Screening, would one of these take away the quality of my picture? Please help!

Thanks,
the halfbaked cameraman!

Last edited by Chris Hurd; November 30th, 2001 at 08:22 AM.
Armand Rocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2001, 08:26 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

One quick note... the subject of this post was originally titled "Widescreen with the XL1" but since it's asking about wide angle lenses and adapter, I changed to avoid confusion.

Widescreen refers to 16:9 anamorphic, whether it's done with optics or electronics.

Wide angle refers to the Canon 3x lens, the Century WA adapters, etc.

Also, be advised I may tack this on to an earlier thread as this topic has come up before. Hmm, I need to do some housecleaning I guess...

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2001, 10:00 AM   #3
Regular Crew

halfbaked,

I got my Canon ExtraWide Angle 3x Zoom Lens for XL1s from ebay and got a good deal. I got it for $800 in mint shape.

I seen this on there now for a bid of $650. You should look at this and bid on it like 30 sec's before its over.

I love this lens its very wide you can't go wrong with it, Here it the link for it there is like 10 hours left before the bid is over. Keep your eye on it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1302343623

DpsVelocity Editor
XL1S & GL1
Mark Chiocchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2001, 04:52 PM   #4
Wrangler

I've been using the Century 0.6x adapter. It is partial zoom through (about half the range) and works well for me. But I've not studied large screen projections to look for quality issues so I cannot say whether or not you would see unacceptable performance. BTW: believe that the adapter will fit the Canon manual lenses for the XL1 as well. Details at: http://www.centuryoptics.com/products/video/prodv/prodvlenschart.html
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2001, 10:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Wide Angle Lens with XL1 and XL1S

When I got my XL1 about 2 1/2 years ago I got the 3x wide angle lens with it. If you're shooting video and you want something like the flexibility of the pros I find the wide angle lens to be indispensible in certain situations. Confining yourself to just the standard lens can give the viewer claustrophobia--you know, the old tunnel effect. Your video takes on a very different, much more open look, with the wide angle lens, and I assume a good wide angle adapter will give you the same effect. One thing I'm looking forward to using with my 3x lens is a circular polarizing filter. Without such a filter, or at least a haze filter or a contrast reduction filter, contrast problems seem to be made worse with a wide angle lens, I suppose because it is gathering considerably more light than the standard lens. Have any of you used the wide angle lens with a circular polarizing filter? What kind of results have you gotten. I would be interested to hear your experience. I'll probably get my circular polarizer around Christmas time. If someone doesn't give me one as a present, I'll give one to myself! I would have gotten one by now if I'd been more knowledgeable. It took a shoot some distance from my home where I really could have used a circular polarizer to impress upon me the need to have one handy.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog