please help with first audio set-up on xl1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old May 8th, 2005, 06:50 AM   #1
New Boot

please help with first audio set-up on xl1s

I'm an experienced still photographer and I'm getting into videography, for the most part i've been able to translate my photo knowledge to video applications ( histogram->zebra, aperture->iris ) but I have totally and I mean totally zero zilch knowledge when it comes to audio.

In another thread jimmy m suggested I beef up my audio and I agree with him. I hit the mall and electronic shops and searched the net, now I have a few questions that I really need help answered.

1) Are the Audio Technica mikes any good? I was looking at the AT875R and AT815B, these sort of fit right in my budget ( I know the Senheisers are better but I can't find them ) I also noticed one of the mics don't have a power supply or battery compartment, will the ma100 or ma200 be able to power it?

2) How on earth do i actually connect an external mic to the xl1s, is there an external or custom mount I have to buy? Both mics didn't come with hotshoe anchors, just some screw type thing that looks like you attach it to a microphone pole. If there is can anyone please post a link where i could buy it and it's name?

3) The ma100 and ma200, is it worth it getting the ma200? Is $400 a fair price because that's what the ma200 was selling at the store i went to.

Anyway i guess that's it, can anybody please help a clueless video newbie, thanks.

Terry
Terry Uy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 09:41 AM   #2
Trustee

I use the AT mics, and they are definitely pro quality and a match for most ofther makes. I use one stereo shotgun, a wireless mic, and my pride-of-place two AT 815 long shotgun mics.

http://www.audio-technica.com/cgi-bi...nes%3A+Shotgun

I also use the Ma200 XLR and reccomend it.

To mount one of the mics on camara (although I often use them off camera with XLR cables) I use the superb SI-XL1 Sound Systems Isolator and also the seperate mic mounts.

I also have another mic mount (mic iolation rubber-system model) that fits into the hotsoe for when I want to use two shotgun mics on-camera.
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:09 AM   #3
New Boot

To mount one of the mics on camara (although I often use them off camera with XLR cables) I use the superb SI-XL1 Sound Systems Isolator and also the seperate mic mounts.

I also have another mic mount (mic iolation rubber-system model) that fits into the hotsoe for when I want to use two shotgun mics on-camera.[/QUOTE]

Tony, thanks for the reply, sounds like the at815 is a good buy, and so is the ma200 ( although I'll probably save a little money and get the ma100 instead since I'm not a power user by any means, unless that extra fold out space is extremely helpful with a future wireless rig. )

Any chance you could enclose a link to the mike mounting brackets you use, my search engine didn't turn up anything meaningful.
Old May 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

This mounting bracket does really well (fits right in the hotshoe):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...Type=accessory

I would strongly recommend getting a windscreen for your shotgun mic - it's vital if you are shooting outdoors. Rycote makes good ones (you can find those at bhphotovideo.com as well)

What many wedding videographers are doing now is using the iRiver mp3 recorder/player with a lavalier mic as a backup. You set it to record, lock the external buttons, and put it in the groom's pocket or near the lecturn/podium/whatever. It records several hours worth of audio and you later sync them up in your editing software.

Good luck with your weddings!
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8th, 2005, 05:08 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Terry...

I use an Audio Technica AT-897 and have a Lightwave wind fur that does a nice job of preventing wind noise. The foam covers that come with the mics are useless for anything more than a very light breeze. As mentioned previously, Rycote makes them, too.

The mic uses an AA battery to provide power for the condenser diaphram. Otherwise the mic would need phantom power which the Canon XL1 can't provide.

You'll need the MA-100 or 200 to allow you to use XLR connectors. The only advantage to the 200 is having four XLR inputs. But in order to record four channels of audio you'll need to compromise and set the XL1 to a reduced sample rate and depth -- which I don't think is a good idea for field audio.

I would save my money and get the MA-100, and invest in a pair of good headphones. I've been using a pair of Sony MDR-V6's for the past several years. But if I had to get another set, I'd probably get a pair of Shure in-ear E3's to help isolate what I'm hearing from the source, just to ensure that I'm hearing only what's going on tape.

http://www.shure.com/earphones/eseries_e3c.asp

I built my own audio cables for my XL1s. I have right-angle connectors that plug into the MA-100 which keeps the cables from protruding too far from the rear of the camera. It allows me to put the camera into the Kata bag without having to unplug the cables.

Something else to be aware of is that the MA 100 has a very small plastic tab which is part of the mounting system for the adapter. It fits into a small slot in the back of the camera. This tab is known to break and can be annoying to fix. So if you're going to mount a lot of heavy accessories on the MA 100 you might want to take the time out to reinforce this tab -- which equally annoying but will save you a bit of trouble in the field.

One other thing you might want to get is a low-profile quick release from Bogen. This allows you to get the camera on and off the tripod in just a couple of seconds. I often work aboard boats, and trying to fit a dovetail camera plate onto the head of a tripod while everything is moving is an unpleasant challenge. Also, this plate helps ensure a solid connection as the lever won't trip to the "locked" position unless the plate is properly in place.

http://www.bogenimaging.us
RC4 LOW PROFILE RECTANGULAR RAPID CONNECT ADAPTER / Cat. No: 394
Old June 8th, 2005, 08:08 AM   #6
New Boot

getting more confused

Ok, so sorry if I'm writing a few weeks apart but I just took hold of my ma 100 and azden mike, for the money they seemed to be the best fit for me but I'm more than a little lost now.

When i hooked up the azden and ma100 I was only getting audio from one channel, either left or right depending on wc side it was mounted on, does this mean i have to buy two external mics if i want stereo?

The ma100 is connected to audio 1 and set to audio 1, I hope someone can help me because i wasn't expecting to get only one channel of audio, does this mean i need to use the canon mic if i wan't to use the stereo sound, sorry but i really don't know anything and i'vd made a few wrong assumptions.
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:38 AM   #7
New Boot

Anyone...?

In attaching one mic to one xlr input is it normal for me to be getting just one channel?
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:22 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Uy
In attaching one mic to one xlr input is it normal for me to be getting just one channel?
Yes, that is normal - you have 2 XLR inputs, one for the left channel and one for the right channel.

In the editing software, you can pan the tracks to get stereo.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 12:32 PM   #9
New Boot

Thanks todd but what does it mean...

to pan the tracks? You mean synch two mikes attached to the xlr inputs to get stereo or duplicate the one channel to simulate stereo??

Do you suggest keeping the onboard stereo mic and going into the menus and selecting 12 bit st 1,2? Does it improve the sound?
Old June 8th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #10
Obstreperous Rex

Panning the tracks will not give you stereo sound but it will give you sound to both channels (stereo equals separation, not duplication). Most all XLR mics are mono. Stereo XLR mics will have two XLR plugs.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2005, 12:44 AM   #11
New Boot

Thanks Chris, geez I goofed...

I mistakenly assumed the azden would give a stereo sound and output, is it acceptable to pan the tracks? Or will it sound horrible?

And does anyone suggest using the stock mike of the xl1 and a supplementary xlr shotgun mike and running both at the same time?
Old June 9th, 2005, 02:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
Panning the tracks will not give you stereo sound but it will give you sound to both channels (stereo equals separation, not duplication).

Whoops, my mistake Chris. I meant to say sending audio to both channels, not true stereo Thanks for correcting me.
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog