Bubbles inside the 16x IS lens?!?! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 2nd, 2001, 05:01 PM   #1
Major Player

Bubbles inside the 16x IS lens?!?!

Dear all:

I recently purchased an XL-1s, and I am planning a trip involving flying with the camera soon. Reading through the instruction manual of the 16x IS II lens, I stumbled upon the following bit of information:

"When the lens is used in areas of low atmospheric pressure (less than approx. 1 atomsphere), such as airplanes or high mountains, air bubbles may apprear inside the lens (within the Vari-Angle Pirsm). This is not a malfunction. About 10 days* after the lens is returned to normal atmospheric pressure, these bubbles will disappear (*depending slightly on the condiditons in which it is used)."

If true, this could be a serious problem, since my trip is going to be a short one. Can anyone with real-life experience under the aforementioned conditions comment on the above? Particularly, I'd be interested in the effects of a series of pressure changes (i.e. flights) with an interval of a few days in between.

I would highly appreciate any feedback on this!

Regards,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2001, 09:19 AM   #2
New Boot

Dear Ron
I'm a videojournalist working in Indonesia. I've the Canon XL1 since 1998 and since then the two of us have flown a lot(30+), Indonesia is huge! I never had any bubbles inside the lens and I start shooting straight when I leave the plane. We've been in all sorts of planes, from small to big boeings, so...
The only thing I once experienced was a condensation warning, wich was gone in 30 minutes.
Good luck
Andre
Old December 3rd, 2001, 04:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

Certainly not a common problem. Might have read one post on it over the past 3+ years. Might be more likely if the camcorder is not in a pressurized cabin, and if the in-flight time is very long.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2001, 10:36 PM   #4
pjssssss

I assume you are carrying the camera so that it stays in the pressurized cabin. Should be no problem. I have done it several times.
Old December 6th, 2001, 09:17 PM   #5
rcumpton

I have experienced the bubble problem with my Canon ES900 analog, 8mm camcorder. A portion of the lens is liquid-filled, and as the ambient atmospheric pressure decreases, any gas (air) in the lens liquid expands to form a visible bubble. This happened with my camera while high on a mountain in Utah (that is, the elevation was high, not me). However, the bubble was only visible when pointing the camera either straight down at the ground or straight up in the air. While holding the camera horizontal, the bubble rose to the top of the lens and was not in the field of view. After returning to sea level, the bubble did go away.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog