DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Mixing XL1 footage with that of XL1(s) (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4490-mixing-xl1-footage-xl1-s.html)

Pepi Singh Khara October 21st, 2002 02:52 PM

Mixing XL1 footage with that of XL1(s)

I own an XL1s with the Canon Wide Angle Lens and the Standard Zoom lens. I'm thinking of buying another camera BODY to accomodate my 2nd lens (ie. one camera for wide angle shots, the other camera for close up shots)........ We're getting ready to film a docu drama DV feature.

WILL I HAVE ANY ISSUES WITH INTERCUTTING XL1 GENERATED FOOTAGE WITH XL1S GENERATED FOOTAGE?

SHOULD I BUY ANOTHER XL1S BODY ONLY OR AM I OKAY WITH GOING FOR A LESS EXPENSIVE XL1 BODY?

DO BOTH THE XL1 AND THE XL1S HAVE THE SAME RESOLUTION ETC.

*** We are looking at blowing up our DV feature to 35 mm ***

Thanks for the advice!!

Dylan Couper October 21st, 2002 04:36 PM

Shot with the same settings, XL1 and XL1s footage is identical.
Any one that thinks they can tell the difference can purchase my newest video and if they can identify what was shot on XL1 and XL1s, I will refund their $29.99. :)

This offer does not apply to Keith Loh.

I'd be happy to buy an XL1 if I was you, but if I had the money to blow up to 35mm, I wouldn't be worried about saving $1000 by getting an older body.

Pepi Singh Khara October 21st, 2002 05:07 PM

Thanks Dylan.

Keith Loh October 21st, 2002 05:10 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dylan Couper : Shot with the same settings, XL1 and XL1s footage is identical. -->>>

Now he tells me. And here I am still not having paid off my XL1S and I don't even have a decent tripod.

Dylan Couper October 22nd, 2002 12:45 AM

Of course an alternate thought is...
Most likely the XL1 you will find will be used, and thus you cannot know what shape it's in, how it has been treated, or how long it will last. By buying an XL1s, you know you are getting a brand new camera. That extra peace of mind may be worth $1000 to your production/company.

Keith, don't worry, XL1s users get all the hot chicks first. ;)

Pepi Singh Khara October 22nd, 2002 04:33 AM

Thanks........ I'm buying my second XL1s today. Cheers to all.

Mike Doyle January 7th, 2003 03:25 PM

Mixing XL-1 and XL-1s footage

We bought our XL-1 in 2001 and put it to hundreds of hours of use before purchasing an XL-1s in 2002. When doing a two-camera shoot, each camera is equipped with the 16x manual lens, all controls are taken off AUTO and we carefully white-balance each camera. The results are broadcasttwice a month on television stations all over California and I have never been asked about mismatched cameras.
The secret is to take your time setting up.

Robert Knecht Schmidt January 7th, 2003 06:06 PM

"Any one that thinks they can tell the difference can purchase my newest video and if they can identify what was shot on XL1 and XL1s, I will refund their $29.99."

Of course, if you can see the overscan area, discriminating between the XL1 and the XL1S is a cinch. (Cf. the XL1 imaging flaw threads.)

Dylan Couper January 7th, 2003 06:11 PM

Pffffttt.!! :P

:)

Christopher Hughes January 24th, 2003 02:11 PM

"...don't worry, XL1s users get all the hot chicks first. ;)"

That just in the US or do other international chicks apply? If so I wanna get an XL1s for each arm!! :)