XL1 vs. XL1s and XL1 vs. GL2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 23rd, 2002, 11:23 PM   #1
Major Player

XL1 vs. XL1s and XL1 vs. GL2

I have a couple questions regarding mainly the XL1(s). I tried searching the previous threads and couldn't find anything. This was surprising because I am sure these questions have been asked before. If someone could either answer my questions or provide me with a like to a previous thread that would be great!

1. What are the differences between the XL1 and XL1s?
2. Because they are about the same price, what would be the better to buy for a general array of short film shooting, a XL1 or a GL2? Interchangable lens are not a huge priority because I dont have the money to buy them. As far as accessories that I will be using with the camera go, it will probably be a ME66, some filters, and a wide angle adapter. I edit on the PC using Premiere and eventually After Effects.

Thanks!
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 12:36 AM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

Hello Scott,

1. The XL1 is no longer in production. Still, you might be able to find a used camera for sale. In brief, as a former owner of both cameras, the differences are mainly in several very convenient, but not absolutely essential, features and refinements Canon made to the 1s. The XL1 Watchdog section of this site presents an excellent overview at: http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1s.htm

2. It looks like you've answered your own question. Faced with a limited budget and little need for the XL1s' interchangeable lens system the GL-2 would be an outstanding choice. The price difference will leave you the reserves to buy an xlr audio adapter (ex: the MA-300, a BeachTek or a Studio One adapter), a wide-angle adapter (Century's or Canon's), and ME66/K6 mic and a few filters. You won't be shorting yourself on image quality. In fact, the GL-2 actually produces a slightly better image than the XL1s.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 10:37 AM   #3
Wrangler

To add another opinion to your second question:

GL2 is the superior camera, if you don't need to change lenses.

Unless you want to impress people with your camera, then go XL1.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 12:41 PM   #4
Trustee

Scott, I'll just reiterate what everyone else has said. You said yourself interchangeable lenses isn't a biggy so that's sussed.
If you want that "pro" look then get the Xl1(s). If you can live without that (which I decided I could, as painful as it was ;) ) then go with the GL2. The Gl2 has been given a lot of the in camera features of the Xl1s (image setups, 5 zebras, 16:9 guides, clearscan etc) and actually has quite an improvement in resolution over the 1s. There is the issue of 1/4" vs 1/3" CCDs that you might want to consider. For me, I opted to save the cash and spend it on all the extras I need (ME66, XLR adapter, lights, flters, etc etc etc...)
Aaron Koolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2002, 02:46 PM   #5

I would add to get that if you go ahead with the XL1S, get the 16X Manual/ Servo lens instead of the stock IS II lens.

I have no issues with the 16X Manual/ Servo lens and everybody I know who does decide to go with this lens is happy they did so.

I much prefer shooting with the XL1S & 16 M/S lens combo over the GL2 for best imaging and control. Not to say that the GL2 isn't great, because it is. However, I would rather have the larger 1/3" CCD's.

- don
CREATE and NETWORK with http://www.bosfcpug.org
and also http://fcpugnetwork.org
Don Berube is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog