XL1 mic extention cable at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 28th, 2002, 11:04 AM   #1
Trustee

XL1 mic extention cable

I would like to buy (or build) a long (50 ft. or so) extension cable for my XL1 microphone. Finding a 3.5mm mini extension cable is not a problem - finding a 2.5mm sub mini extension for the power supply is. I have e-mailed at least 7 cable suppliers inquiring about the availability of a manufactured cable that will work. No one seems to have one. I also know the power supply leaves the camera on the sub mini and enters the mic on the sleeve of the 3.5 mini. This confuses me. If I buy a 4 strand cable and attach 2 sets of mini jacks and 2 sub minis will it work? Also, I have not been able to find a female sub mini connector. This is a great mic. Getting it off of the camera would add tremendous versatility to my microphone set-ups.
Old October 28th, 2002, 11:27 AM   #2
Wrangler

I have built one of these cables before. The most important thing to do is to use a really high quality audio cable and not the standard RS types.

The smaller plug is the power for the mic and the other is stereo mic input. You can get those adapters at RS. You will need to build some strain relief and maybe use heat shrink to tie the two cables together.

Mine is over 30' long and works just fine. Do be aware that the cable is not balanced, which means it can be prone to interference.

For quick answers try our Search!
To see me and Rob Lohman click here
Nathan Gifford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2002, 12:19 PM   #3
Warden

Don't run it near power cables, or use flouresent lights. I would look at balanced mic options if I was going to do a lot of long cable runs.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30th, 2002, 11:18 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Ive been trying to do a similar feat to extend the mic cable for power and for connection to the ma200 xlr., I want to connect the onboard mic to my ma200 xlr input left audio channel and use a wireless mic in the right audio channel, this would maintain audio in 16bit (audio1)input.. tried to find connectors but the sub mini for power is the main problem.I did find the stereo mini to xlr mono cable with no problem.I guess the only solution is to buy a stand alone self powered shotgun mic.
Ill pass on this one as I like the onboard mic that comes with the xl1s.
Anyone know were to get a sub mini cable extention, male on one end female on other end?
Old October 30th, 2002, 06:16 PM   #5
Wrangler

One can use matching transformers (600 ohm unbalancd to balanced) at the XL1 stock mic to allow use of long cables, terminating at the MA100. Maybe Build
a 5 VDC power supply for the mic using a battery, resistor, zener diode, and capacitor.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog