New Microphone for XL1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM   #1
Tourist

New Microphone for XL1

Ive got my eyes on a nifty looking Sennheiser MKE300 video camera microphone, and as im quite new to the XL1 scene, i was wondering if this kind of mic would be compatible or useable with an XL1.
Thanks
Also it says it has a 'hot shoe' mount and 1/8th inch mini jack connector.
Alex Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2005, 11:46 PM   #2
Major Player

I've used Sennheisers on many occasions, although I don't own one. Very good mics. Do a google search on "shotgun microphones". You should find a comparasin article which includes Sennheiser, Azden, and Audio-Technica shotguns in the under $500 price range.

In any case, realize these mics are mono mics. for those mics that come wired with a 1/8" mini-plug you will need a mono-to-stereo adapter (available at Radio Shack, as well as other suppliers) to insure your audio gets recorded.
Old June 15th, 2005, 10:47 AM   #3
DVCreators.Net

Don't get me wrong I love Sennheiser mics, but the MKE300 is not as good as another mic out there for less money. That mic would be the RODE Videomic. I tested it against a mic costing 3 times as much and could not hear even 10% of the difference. Shocking. Yes. If you have QuickTime you can hear it for yourself: http://www.dvcreators.net/products/v...movieframe.htm

If you don't have QuickTime, you can watch another movie at
http://rodemic.com/videomic_desc.asp?menu=videomicMenu
Old June 18th, 2005, 06:28 AM   #4
Wrangler

The Sennheiser MKE300 is a high end consumer/prosumer mic for camcorders. It is mono, uses an LR44 watch battery for power, and has low frequency roll-off starting at around 200 Hz. ( I have one.)

It will work with the XL1 with some limitations. If you plug it directly in the 1/8" mic jack, sound will be recorded on the left channel only. (A minor issue that can be easily resolved during editing, or by using a monoo-stereo adapter). Per the spec may go into saturation (high distrotion) if used in loud venues and it prefers a somewhat higher input impedance than the 600 ohms of the XL1 (that is not a major isssue for average sound levels, although it could make the loud venue limitation more of an issue).

IT is an OK mic for the price point and intended market, but definately not in the same class as the professional Sennheiser mics; e.g., MK66, that many professional videographers use. (I suspect the E in the model number stands for Economy.)

You can see the specs on the Sennheiser web site:
http://www.sennheiser.com/sennheiser...nsf/root/03171
Old June 20th, 2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Major Player

I tried an MKE300. I don't think it offers any real advantage over the mic that ships with the XL1.
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog