DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1S Club - no response (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/4626-xl1s-club-no-response.html)

AlexOsadzinski October 28th, 2002 01:10 PM

XL1S Club - no response

When I bought my XL1S in April, I used the Canon web site form to register for the XL1S Club. In August, having heard nothing, I faxed the forms in. I did it again a couple of weeks ago.

This is a little strange. I know that they must be busy, but it's been over 6 months now.

Does anyone have a 'phone number or email address for them so that I can see what's happening?

Thanks, Alex.

Jeff Donald October 28th, 2002 01:48 PM

It may be that your camera is not eligible for membership in the USA XL1 owners club. if you're not the original owner, or the camera is a gray market camera (not officially imported by Canon USA) it is not eligible. There are other terms and conditions that must be met also. They can be reviewed here http://www.canondv.com/xl1owners/terms.html If you feel the camera is eligible (eligibility is non-negotiable) then you may want to Fax them:

1-800-231-9243

Good luck, I hope things work out.

Jeff

AlexOsadzinski October 28th, 2002 03:03 PM

It's definitely a US camera. I'm the original owner, and I bought it new at retail from Keeble & Suchat in Palo Alto, CA. It came with a US warranty, and an XL1 owners club flyer. I've faxed them twice with the application form, so I'm really puzzled why I haven't heard back.

Chris Hurd October 29th, 2002 10:09 AM

Forwarding this to a buddy inside The Machine. Hopefully you'll get some kind of response soon.

Paul Sedillo October 29th, 2002 11:08 AM

I have also been wondering the same thing. My club registration was sent in back in July. Curious as to what happened to it.

Edward Troxel October 29th, 2002 01:33 PM

Having heard horror stories like these, I was concerned about how long the registration would take. I submitted three XL-1 cameras at the beginning of this month. I was pleasantly surprised when I received the Owners Club Membership package in the mail two to three weeks after I submitted the information on the website. So, I can vouch that information is being processed.

Even if they deemed a camera in-eligible for some reason, they should consider telling they person why it was deemed in-eligible so that people aren't waiting forever. Also, the person should then be given the chance to say why it should be eligible.

Bob Zimmerman November 1st, 2002 09:33 AM

Same thing here,,,I just gave up.

Peter Wiley November 4th, 2002 05:14 PM

I submitted the applicated via mail some months ago as well. No response so far.

Guest November 4th, 2002 05:26 PM

No response

Me, too. I sent mine in by e-mail back in April. My (XL-1s) camera was new, purchased through an authorized outlet, even had the Owners Club packet in the box. I haven't heard diddly from them.

It looks like this is a disturbing trend to me. If they can't take care of us at the point of sale, what's going to happen when we really need them?

AlexOsadzinski November 4th, 2002 08:46 PM

I received my club materials in the mail today. Methinks Chris' prodding may have had something to do with it, in which case, thanks Chris!

Michel Brewer November 4th, 2002 11:51 PM

getting the card

I sent mine in from the website, waited to see when my materials would come, and after a month forgot about it....six months later a true shock because i had forgotten it shows up. so have faith it might just be a real long wait.

Chris Hurd November 5th, 2002 12:32 AM

Charles:

<< If they can't take care of us at the point of sale, what's going to happen when we really need them? >>

The owner's club stuff at point of sale is outsourced to a third party handler (thus the delay). Canon Video doesn't have the resources to handle it internally. When you really need them, that's where Canon Video steps in for service, and expedites the process. Hope this helps,

Ron Transco November 5th, 2002 11:43 PM

For your reference, I sent in my application via Canon's web site, waited 3 months, but didn't hear from them. I then mailed in the printed application and waited another 3 months and still nothing. I then called Canon USA and asked what was going on. The fellow checked the computer and discovered I'd been registered some time ago and gave me my registration number. Four days later, the printed membership card arrived in the mail. Moral of the story... give them a call and that should start the ball rolling.

John Klein November 6th, 2002 10:05 PM

I did the online enroll thing and within two days I got a letter saying they needed more info (my tele #). I phoned in the # at 1.800.828.4040 and they did say about 3-4 weeks for my paperwork.

By that time my membership's gonna expire! So she gave me a Retn Auth. #, address to send the unit in and get the freaking focus adjustment made w/in my 1 year window. Udder than that, it's been a great cam! Too bad Canon doesn't see that making the focus right from the start will save them money in the long run. Or at least they could pass the savings along to us.

Guest November 7th, 2002 12:09 PM

no response

Jo:

Thanks for the tip. I called the 800# today and they got me in the system immediately. The gal told me if you join via the web, like I did, it can take up to 6 months to hear from them. In my case it's been 7 and I still never heard anything.

But I'm in the club now. Boy, howdy... do I feel special!