white balance at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old June 15th, 2005, 07:10 PM   #1
Major Player

white balance

When shooting "run and gun" outside in changing lighting conditions (shade/clouds etc) would I be better to leave white balance on auto or outside settings?

I have had very good results with auto white balance but this is a 3 camera shoot (gl1, xl1, xl1s) and I think maybe the daylight setting on all 3 would make matching footage easier?

Last edited by Doug Bennett; June 15th, 2005 at 07:12 PM. Reason: more info
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Major Player

Doug,

My first thought is to, at a minimum, manual WB all cameras to the same exact lighting/white card. Otherwise you are relying on the manuf. presets for all 3 cameras, which will most likely be different.

A better approach, if you have time and the equipment, is to checkout/change the color balance of all cameras well before the shoot using a professional, properly calibrated, monitor. Duplicate the planned lighting as closely as possible, and compare/adjust all cameras using the monitor as a reference. Doing this you should be able to color balance all cameras very closely since they are all Canons.

Save the custom settings for each camera, and then use those settings the day of the shoot. If at all possible, have your monitor on location to verify settings just prior to shooting. Make adjustments as necessary. Then you should be set for the day.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Best Regards,
Pete
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 04:15 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think the Xl1 and the Xl1s are about the same.
But that's a guess.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM   #4
Major Player

This is an outdoor shoot. I will be shooting towards the sun, away from the sun, in full light and in shadow, clouds come and go over the course of 3-4 hours. Would a manual white balnce really make sense in those circumstances?

Or do you mean that a manual white balance would bring the cameras closer together?

Last edited by Doug Bennett; June 16th, 2005 at 07:47 AM. Reason: another question
Doug Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM   #5
Major Player

The changing conditions of your shoot make it even more important to do manual white balances. The color temperature will vary with time of day, and with sun/shadow/overcast. For a given shot, set the WB for the main subject, or to obtain the particular effect you desire.

Some cameramen will WB in the shadow to shoot in the sun because they like the effect. Test and determine which is best for you.

If you do not WB throughout the day, you will find that intercutting the shots may be difficult and may require color correction in post.

The purpose of manual WB is to ensure that the colors always look the same even though the light color temperature changes from shot to shot (as the sun rises/sets). When in doubt, do a manual WB.

What you do in a "run and gun" situation depends on the camera and the effect you want to achieve. Before I would use auto WB I would test to make sure I like the results. Your obvious choices are:
(1) Manual WB at start of shoot and maintain throughout
(2) Auto WB
(3) Daylight Preset WB

Again, testing with the specific camera will tell you the best approach.
Pete Wilie is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog