Audio adapter, Beachtek or Studio One at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 13th, 2001, 06:42 PM   #1
Greg Montgomery

Audio adapter, Beachtek or Studio One

I am looking to get an XLR adapter for use for my XL-1. Are people satisfied with their Beachtek adapters with the XL-1. How is the sound quality?

If they aren't satisfied? What do you recomend, and why?

I know a lot of people talk highly of the Studio One XLR-PRO due to it's cleaner sound and lack of Hum and rounding problems.
However most of those people experiencing problems with the Beachtek were using a Sony. I wonder if the Canon Beachtek model sufferes the same tramas?

Thanks for the help,

Greg Montgomery
Old October 1st, 2001, 05:55 PM   #2
tberkeley

I had a Beachtek DXA-4C for my XL-1. It introduced high freq buzz into my tracks. Not a typical analog variety of noise, it had a more digital, gritty quality to it. Same thing no matter what mics or cables used, or whether the box was mounted to camera or held away from camera. Testing with a spare single-channel passive DI box I had eliminated the buzz. I returned it without trying another one, so I don't know if it was just a bad unit. So much for "the quiet connection." ; )

I would also be interested in other people's feedback. I hear there is a new box for the XL-1s that has phantom power. Anyone tried it?

Tony Berkeley
Old October 1st, 2001, 07:32 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have NOT heard that it has phantom power for powering a mic. Double check this before you buy if you are looking for that feature. The MA-100 does NOT provide phantom power.

The MA-100 (and MA-200) provides a nice mic adapter for balanced mics as well as a shoulder pad. And the XL1 provides suitable gain controls for use with most mics. For many if not most uses this eliminates the need for a Beachtek, etc. adapter.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog