XL-1 Music Video help needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 2nd, 2002, 02:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XL-1 Music Video help needed

I'm making a music video with a XL-1 and a XL-1S next week and I need some pointers on what settings to use. I"m going for a "softer" look but not as soft as film. Since I don't own a XL-1 and I have to use it I was hoping you kind people will give me some "quick" pointers.

I'll have great sticks for the XL-1 and were using my Jib with the XL-1S. We have lots of lighting and a great background set with plenty of depth made just for this video. The stage is about 40' by 35' and the ceiling is about 60' high so I have lots of choices for depth of field and camera positions.

I'm more concerned about the settings for the cameras...any help?
Steven Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 04:06 PM   #2
Trustee

Personally, I wouldn't add any "softening" filters. The XL1 is soft enough for your production master.

After you have your video shot, you decide you still want it softer, there are filters and software programs that can do that. However, there really isn't anything that can add resolution back once you soften the images in aquisition. (And if there is, PLEASE people let me know what it is!!! ;)

I would strongly suggest having at least one real production monitor (13" or bigger) that can take an s-video input. Try a couple of fully pulled out shots with subjects all the way across that big studio space.
You'll know what I mean about _not_ softening
in production ;|

As far as settings, I much prefer to use LOTS of light and shoot at -3dB. Keeps noise to a minimum.
I like frame mode, BUT there is an additional loss of resolution using it, (see www.adamwilt.com)
and there are software programs that can probably do a better job (I haven't used it, but I've
heard good things about magic bullet) on producing a "movie look" with more resolution than the XL1's
frame mode.

Good luck and have fun.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 04:22 PM   #3
Warden

If you're after a film look and work on a Mac search Magic Bullet here on the forums and here http://www.theorphanage.com/ The Orphanage is the creator of MB and they still process in it. There are many examples on their site. I shoot mostly at -3db also, light permitting.

What type of music video is it, fast, slow, film look etc.etc.? The XL1S can set black level and sharpness. The look of the XL1/S is on the warm side. If you prefer cooler or neutral tones you may want to adjust the white balance accordingly.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 08:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks guys,

I will not be using any filters on this. If I need them I'll add them in post. I'll be editing in Adobe Premiere 6.5 on my Compaq PC.

Editing isn't a problem but since the camera is new to me I just need the setting you think I should be using. I'll have 2 19" Ikegami monitors in the room to work off of.

The video is medium fast and it's a Christian video with only one singer. I'll be using a lot of close-ups with pans going across a lot to make the background "animated". There will be shots of the "band" also I'll place in later as cut-aways. The set will have a lot of parachute material in the background with red and blue lights behind them to accent them. The rest of the stage will be washed in white with red and blue also to add to the wash.

This will not be transfered to film and I'm reading about "frame mode" right now and I'm not sure... could you tell me more about your experiences with it.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 08:45 PM   #5
Warden

What are you doing with the finished project? OK, it's not going to film. But what? DVD, VHS, broadcast or web? It all kinda depends. I shot things I do for web differently than than the material I shot for broadcast. Broadcast is the strictest and web has the most flexibility. Distribution via DVD and VHS falls in the middle. But each one takes on their own characteristics and their own problems. No easy answer, sorry.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:06 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I understand Jeff and thanks....this is a "spec" shoot (but the crew is getting full rate) for a record company and as I understand it, will not be televised right away....but it could be later on so I have to go on the assumption it will be.
Old November 2nd, 2002, 09:12 PM   #7
Obstreperous Rex

Steven I think there's a thread about matching the XL1S to XL1, it's around here somewhere (try the search feature) but you can match those cameras fairly easily. I believe you'll need to dial the XL1S sharpness down two notches to match the XL1, plus adjust gain... add 6db gain on the XL1S to match 0db gain on the XL1. But this is from memory. Point is they are fairly easy to match up.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2002, 12:49 AM   #8
Wrangler

Very easy to match. I'm going to have a video clip of paintball footage shot with my XL1 and Keith Loh's XL1s. There will be a noPrize for the first person to correctly guess which clips are which. If anyone can.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog