Skin colour on overexposed footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old July 13th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Skin colour on overexposed footage

Hi, i've been working with Canon XL1s for a short time, and I noticed that if you have some skin parts overexposed, they don't go to white. In fact, they look horrible yellow as a fried egg. That makes me take care of no overexposing ANY skin on XL1s.

Don't know if this is typical on prosumer cameras, or if there's some way to correct that.

This is my first post... Also, excuse my English.
Javier Gallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Major Player

Hi Javier

You might want to check the cameras custom picture settings and see if that helps, and check your white balance settings

Hope that helps
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:44 PM   #3
Trustee

Sounds like too warm of a white balance. Turn your setup level down in the custom settings and maybe check your Zebra patterns before you start rolling...

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2005, 04:19 AM   #4
Regular Crew

I'll try to use a colder white balance, but is something that never happenned me working with Betacam of any brand. I expect to minimize that effect, but I'm start to thinking it's an inherent problem of this camera/format.

Thanks, anyway.
Old July 14th, 2005, 02:16 PM   #5
Trustee

You got it... less dynamic range. I think you will find the XL2 to be much better in this regard. If you really want to get close to Beta, step up to the 2/3" CCD cams, they are so close, most people cant tell.

ash =o)
Old July 15th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
You got it... less dynamic range.
Just after a few tests I have to say, that's it. :(

In a few weeks i'll be working with the JVC's HDV prosumer camera, and I hope a better dynamic range (or latitude). Thanks, again, for the advices.
Old July 16th, 2005, 12:05 PM   #7
Trustee

It does have better range in general but in my experience, HDV cameras have a lot of trouble with bright lights that move. I shot a concert in HDV and it was a disaster, the splashing lights was just too much. Outside of that HDV looks great, very video like but very clear.

The XL2 is the happy medium but it all depends on the work you are doing.

ash =o)
Old July 26th, 2005, 07:32 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier Gallen
I'll try to use a colder white balance, but is something that never happenned me working with Betacam of any brand. I expect to minimize that effect, but I'm start to thinking it's an inherent problem of this camera/format.

Thanks, anyway.
Compared to Betacam, Mini-DV is a a step backward in many respects. Focusing is difficult. Detail in luminance is so much better with Becacam. I think it is a condition of the transition to digital. Thre are many advantages to digital, ...but. Very much like comparing 35mm film format to 4X5 film format. In time the gap will disappear.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog