My XL1S switches off on its own..... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 4th, 2005, 09:14 AM   #1
Major Player

My XL1S switches off on its own.....

My XL1S switches off on its own after a solid hour of recording. You can be recording and after 60 mins the camera ejects the tape, and turns itself off but if you leave it for about 10 mins and come back to it you can go for another hour no problem but it does the same thing again.

It is a pal version and I have had it for about 2 years and it has had allot of use for weddings but this has not effected the quality of the footage in anyway.

Has anyone else had this problem and know of what it cost to repair.

I am only new to this forum and find it a very helpful in different matters but I couldn't find any topics on this problem and would really appreciate any help in this matter from your good selves.

Many thanks

Paul Gallagher

Last edited by Paul Gallagher; August 4th, 2005 at 09:17 AM. Reason: I want an instant e-mail notification when someone replies to it.
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 10:56 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Paul, the only way to find out what yours will cost to repair is to go ahead and swend it in to Canon factory service for an estimate. Where are you located?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:05 AM   #3
Major Player

I live in Northern Ireland.
I suppose my closest one would be in England.
They could end up having it for weeks if not months!
Hopefully some of the other memebers may have come accross a similiar situation but no doubt I will end up having to send it over to Cannon to get it repaired anyway, its more of not knowing how serious the problem is and the cost of repair. They probally will give an exact price to fix it before they carry it out.

Thanks Chris
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Paul,

Well it really doesn't matter if others have encountered this problem or not, because ultimately that doesn't help you to accomplish anything... the cost of repair for others may not accurately reflect the cost for repair in your particular case. Your best bet is to go ahead and take action now and send the camera in to the Canon UK service center. The sooner you do this, the sooner you'll have the camera back in proper working condition. Please let us know how much the estimate is and how long the process takes,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM   #5
Major Player

You know your right Chris, Thats what I'll do and of course I will let you all know how it works out......I will miss my baby though :(
Old August 4th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

Hopefully the turn-around will be quick, Paul -- please keep us advised,

Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog