Please help - blurry footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 8th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #1
Major Player

Please help - blurry footage

Hello everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with this question:
I just finished shooting with an XL1 with a 3x lens and a Sony VX2000. I was shooting in widescreen with both cameras.
Now here is the problem: I have captured and imported the footage and the footage from the XL1 is quite soft compared to the Sony's and I'm wondering what is causing it. Does using widescreen degrade the image that much? If so, why is the Sony much sharper? Could it have been the 3x lens - it was a rental. Is there anything I can do to solve this problem other than reshooting?

Thanks for the advice
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:25 PM   #2
Trustee

XL1 16:9 mode is very soft to begin with, the 3X will make it moreso. Was your focus correct? Does it look OK on its own but soft in contrast to the Sony? Sony stuff is generally overly sharp and cool, try to warm it up and soften it in post.

ash =o)
Ash Greyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm pretty sure focus was correct - it looked great in the viewfinder and on the tv it was monitored on.
I was expecting the image from both to be very close in terms of sharpness though, and I would have thought that a Canon lens wouldn't really degrade the quality.
Thanks for the help - I don't think the image is soft enough to be a huge issue since this video is being played on a huge porjector screen, so people will be viewing it from far away. If I get a chance, I'll see if I can post a still from each camera.
Andrew Khalil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2005, 07:59 AM   #4
Inner Circle

The Canon cameras generally give a softer look then the Sony cameras.
That's why many people prefer the Canon cameras for narrative dramatic work and the Sony cameras for ENG, documentaries, events,...
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog