DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Setting White Balance (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/49241-setting-white-balance.html)

Jason Watt August 12th, 2005 10:27 AM

Setting White Balance

I just want to make sure I'm setting the white balance correctly when not using the auto setting.

If I want to set white balance for outside I should.

1) pop knob out & move knob to white balance setting (far right).

2) Press white balance button (with camera focused on white card) until blinking indicator stops.

3) move knob over to outside setting (bottom or 6 o'clock).

4) Press in knob.

5) White balance is set.

Is this correct?

Jimmy McKenzie August 12th, 2005 11:32 AM

Perfect. But leave the selector knob on manual at all times. Once you move away and set it to a preset, your manual setting is gone.
Be sure to remove your polarizing filter when performing your outdoor white balance. Your skies will respond vibrantly.

Jack Smith August 13th, 2005 09:56 PM

#2 you dont have to hold the button in, merely press and release then wait until the indicator stops before moving.
#3 not sure why you go to the outdoor preset .You can set your manual settings up (any of them)1,2,3 then leave it there.
Jimmy it should hold all the user settings going to a factory preset then back or for that matter even turning the camera off, it will still hold.This is assuming your little watch battery good.

Jason Watt August 13th, 2005 11:50 PM

Please explain in detail how to set manaul settings up and where the button should be placed both during the setting up and after....

Thank you...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jack Smith
#2 you dont have to hold the button in, merely press and release then wait until the indicator stops before moving.
#3 not sure why you go to the outdoor preset .You can set your manual settings up (any of them)1,2,3 then leave it there.
Jimmy it should hold all the user settings going to a factory preset then back or for that matter even turning the camera off, it will still hold.This is assuming your little watch battery good.

Jack Smith August 14th, 2005 02:20 PM

Ok , you have 6 positions for the WB(white balance) knob.
3 factory setting including tungsten, daylight and auto.
The tungsten and daylight swettings are quick approx. and may not be 100% accurate.Daylight can range from about 4800 to over 10000 degrees Kelvin so setting this accurately by manually setting WB is sometimes critical.(not always)
Tungsten is normally a little closer but I rarely use anything but the user settings and do a manual WB
3 user settings.
push in on the WB knob and it pops out, rotate it to #1
Put up a white card in the positon the subject will be in the lighting your shooting in
zoom in,set your exposure and focus then on the edge of the card then completely cover the viewfinder with the white card
push the WB button in and release, the #1 in the viewfinder and the WB indicator will begin to flash. Hold the camera and card postion until it stops flashing. The WB is now set for that particular situation.If this is the only lighting condition your using you can push in the WB "knob" (dont have to) and start shooting.
If you will have a different lighting setup within this shoot you can push in the WB "knob" turn to position #2 ,setup in the lighting and location for this different setup , do the same here push the WB "button" ,release when the indicator stops flashing, your good to go.
You can now rotate the WB"knob" to #1 ,go to that location, do your shoot
Move to location #2 ,rorate the WB "knob" to #2 and do that shoot.The camera will hold these settings even if you power down and come back tomorrow.Mind you ,your lighting might have changed and you would have to repeat anyway.
I hope this is clear and helps.Actually once you get use to doing it everytime it becomes quite easy.

Jason Watt August 14th, 2005 04:18 PM

Jack-

I understand about the presets - Auto ("A" icon), Tungsten (Lightbulb) & Daylight (Sun), respectfully in the 12 O'clock, 9 O'clock & 6 O'clock positions. When placed in these positions the icons all appear in the viewfinder except for auto mode.

However, I'm not clear with the fact you can have 3 user settings and when you refer to #1, #2 & #3.....

I assume to set user settings the knob needs to be turned to the 3 O'clock position on the white balance indicator. And doing this the WB icon will appear on in the viewfinder as well. Using WB card and pressing in the WB balance button (it blinks and then stops), I would then leave the knob in the 3 o'clock position to use those settings. But in the viewfinder there is no # 1, or #2 or #3 as you suggest. Could you explain how I can do what you're suggesting?

I have a XL1, manufacture date Oct 1998

Thanks....

Jack Smith August 14th, 2005 05:09 PM

Jimmy and Jason I apologize.I assumed you were refering to a XL1S.
Jimmy is right, you do have to leave it on manual or the user setting will go away.Only standby will hold the setting.
So with the XL1 use your process just leave it on manual and don't switch to the factory preset.
Jason , it explains this in the manual and if you don't have one here is a link
http://www.mediacollege.com/equipmen...camera/xl1.pdf