Eye-Trek Glasses with the XL1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 10th, 2001, 09:36 PM   #1
New Boot

Eye-Trek Glasses with the XL1s

Has anyone tried using the Olympus Eye-Trek glasses with the XL1s. I wonder if you could use them to get a better manual focus than with the standard EVF.

The FMD-250W has LCDs with 240K pixles X 2 resolution and displays a picture equal to a 62" TV at 6.5 feet. The FMD-700 has 180K pixles X 2 resolution but also has OSR (Optical Super Resolution) equal to 720K. The FMD-700 display is equal to a 52" TV at 6.5 feet They may look a little strange but if the resolution is good enough it would be cheeper than buying a new EVF and you can see the display outside in daylight.
Mike Bebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2001, 07:21 AM   #2
Major Player

Wicked!

Mike:

That's a wicked idea!! I'd love to try that!!! Could you share your experience if and when you do?

Cheers,

Ron
Ron Pfister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2001, 03:15 AM   #3
Wrangler

did you try it?

My partner is having trouble using the viewfinder on our XL1s. I just looked at Varizoom's VZ-TFT mounted on a camcorder. It seems fine for use with a tripod, but what about handheld shooting? Seems too heavy, especially if a steadycam is attached as well. I've been thinking about trying to get my hands on an old pair of video glasses w/see through lense, but wondered if you ever tried the eyetreks. Great idea, but can it work?
Old December 29th, 2001, 07:43 AM   #4
New Boot

I got to try on a pair of the FMD-250 glasses at the electronic mart the other day. The resolution was very good. They were hooked up to a DVD player and then to a Sony DV camera (RCA jacks). The picture was the same on both. I tried zooming and paning with the camera and the picture looked great. The glasses allowed enough room to easily see to the sides and downward so that I didn't get vertigo or seasick. You can see downward enough to visually work the camera or move around carefully ( no running). The only problem I can see with the FMD 250 is that it is AC powered. I want to use the glasses out side in the sun where an LCD display is nearly useless. The FMD 700 will run off Sony DV camera battries or AC power. Unfortunately they didn't have the FMD 700s for me to try. The FMD-700s are advertised as the professional version with OSR (Optical Super Resolution). They are also nearly twice the price :-( If anyone gets to actually try shooting with the glasses I would like to hear how the worked.
Mike Bebber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29th, 2001, 12:39 PM   #5
Wrangler

tell me more?

I'm moving to general discussion since this is getting away from xl1s questions. Please check it out?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog