Serial number not there? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 16th, 2005, 01:59 PM   #1
Tourist

Serial number not there?

I purchased my XL-1 used through craigslist a few months back, and recently got it damaged during a gig. While in any of the record modes, I cannot put in or take out the DV tape, nor can I get the menu to display or the audio meter light to come on.

I am now looking to send it in to Canon to get it repaired, but there is no serial number underneath the battery. Is it possibly located somewhere else on the camera, or am I stuck with an unfixable stolen camera?

Has anyone else on here had this problem/known someone who has had this problem? I really can't afford to lose the camera.
Mark Favata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Hi Mark,

That is a strange situation. I don't think Canon will confiscate your camera. Give them a call and see what they advise. Contact info located here:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/skinny.php#service

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:04 PM   #3
Wrangler

No tag in the battery compartment with a mfgr date and barcode serial number? Odd! The battery compartment is a unit part, annotated as "no stock" in the service manual. Chris' suggestionto call Canon makes sense.

Check if there is a serial number on the lens. (It is on the black back surface of the lens in the mount.) If that is missing the camcorder may have an interesting past. But Canon can probably track the lens number if it was registered by a previous owner.
Old August 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM   #4
Tourist

Thank you for your suggestions, guys.

I will definitely call them and inquire what to do. I just figured asking here first for any similar experiances couldn't hurt.

There is a serial number on the back of the lens, but I was searching around this board, or perhaps another, and saw that it is a different serial number. I'm hoping this isn't stolen, as I really don't want to give it up.

I will update after I've talked to Canon.
Mark Favata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2005, 07:51 AM   #5
New Boot

XL1 missing #

If possable check with party you purchased the Camera from They may have it. It sounds like the battery holder was replaced at one time they usualy do not have serial numbers the sitcker has to be taken from the old unit.
Griffith J. Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Wrangler

The lens is usually mapped to the camcorder body when shipped and initiially registered with Canon, so you might be able to use the lens serial to determine the likely body serial number - if it is the original lens.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog