No more zoom noise. Solution on FCP at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 21st, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1
Major Player

No more zoom noise. Solution on FCP

Anyone having a problem with zoom noise on there Xl1s can eliminate it in post using Final Cut Pro.

But you have to install the audio filter that comes with the package, it’s called Peak DV Digital Audio Editing Software for Final Cut Pro.

Once installed, go to the clip where there’s a hum noise, highlight it by clicking it, then go to Effects, audio filter and choose Hum Remover...ooala!! Noise is gone!!! These you can also use to remove the dampen plosive “P” sound that results from burst of wind hitting the on board microphone, or if you have noise in your tape mechanism it helps you eliminate it.

These use various frequencies that eliminates unwanted sound, actually these saves me money on buying the lightwave mini mount and wind muffs.
Rickey Brillantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:13 PM   #2
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes
Anyone having a problem with zoom noise on there Xl1s can eliminate it in post using Final Cut Pro.

But you have to install the audio filter that comes with the package, it’s called Peak DV Digital Audio Editing Software for Final Cut Pro.

Once installed, go to the clip where there’s a hum noise, highlight it by clicking it, then go to Effects, audio filter and choose Hum Remover...ooala!! Noise is gone!!! These you can also use to remove the dampen plosive “P” sound that results from burst of wind hitting the on board microphone, or if you have noise in your tape mechanism it helps you eliminate it.

These use various frequencies that eliminates unwanted sound, actually these saves me money on buying the lightwave mini mount and wind muffs.
You bought Final Cut Pro and you're worried about spending money on lightwave mini mount and wind muffs?
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 04:23 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I think he just meant it wasn't an additional cost, because he obviously already has his NLE to edit.
He didn't just buy the NLE just to get that noise rid of, he had his NLE to edit with, and one of its functions came in handy for eliminating the noise of the XL1s.
He was just sharing (valuable) advice for people who would have the same problems with it, and would by any chance have the same NLE.
Don't attack him for trying to help, he never said he 'was worried' to buy it, it just saves him money.

Best regards,
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 04:42 PM   #4
Wrangler

Rickey,

This function is also available in the open source software called Audacity. If you upgrade in the future to Final Cut Studio, you will get Soundtrack Pro which also has some good hum/noise/click/pop filters.

Although it's good that you have found out how to do this in post, the best plan is usually to keep it as clean as possible during acquisition. This way, you don't spend extra time (time=money) cleaning it up after the fact. The System Isolator and Mini-Mount will pay for themselves in a few jobs by saving you that clean-up step.

Those filters are meant to be 'rescue' filters and not part of your normal audio processing workflow.

regards,

=gb=
Greg Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:36 PM   #5
Major Player

thanks for that greg. filters can make unusable audio usable (and they have saved me quite often), but it is a destructive process and quality of sound will suffer for it.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:00 PM   #6
Major Player

Actually, I was doing a research in this forum regarding the zoom noise, if these is a normal for Xl1s or it was just only my gear.

When shooting, everytime I use the zoom I can hear a hum noise on my headphone, at first I did’nt bother thinking it woud’nt come out on the post, but when I was doing my edits in FCP, those humming noise really did show up and it bothered me cuz I only used the onboard mic of the Xl1s for audio, and don’t have any back-up.

And thanks for these forum you’ll always find answere’s here. I found out that these zoom noise is a real issue not only with Canon but for some other brand like Sony too.

I was already shopping for the lightwave mini mount, and the EQ Xl, ready to buy, (just got outbid in ebay) cuz’ base on my research that at list if not totally, it helps lessen the hmm motor noise.

Upon reading more post, I came across one topic mentioning Peak DV, but did’nt really elaborateon how that thing works. It came to my mind that I have that software, and was included in the box, so I dig it out and immediately installed it, and thank goodness hum noise is gone.

Being a member of these forum I would like to share this information to you, since most of us using the Xl1s share the same zoom noise problem. But you know what, despite having that issueI love my Xl1s an I won’t change these for anything, I like the color and the audio that it delivers, and I look very professional when Im shooting with it. Im just looking forward of buying me a 16x manual lens.

By the way thanks everyone for putting your inputs, c’mon add some more comment, that’s what these forums for.
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:19 PM   #7
Wrangler

Rickey,

Yes I know what you mean about having Peak DV. I had it with my prior version of FCP.

One thing to do with your XL1s is to loosen the mic clamp as much as possible without the mic actually falling out. This helps create a loose mechanical coupling to reduce, but not totally eliminate that zoom noise you speak of. I am familiar with the problem because I have an XL-1. I was fortunate enough to buy a second hand System Isolator right here on our classified section. Makes a lot of difference. You will also gain a second benefit from the System Isolator in that it moves your viewfinder forward and places more of the camera weight towards the rear. This makes it feel more balanced on your shoulder.

-gb-
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:53 PM   #8
Major Player

Greg,

Thanks Greg for giving your opinion on the system isolator, your right I think I should'nt give up on pursuing that thing, and also the loosening of the clamp of the mike thats a good advice.

By the way you have a good piece of gear, does Canon and Panasonic work well side by side, color matching I mean? do yo have to white balance them first before production to get a close match?
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:02 PM   #9
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickey Brillantes
Greg,

Thanks Greg for giving your opinion on the system isolator, your right I think I should'nt give up on pursuing that thing, and also the loosening of the clamp of the mike thats a good advice.

By the way you have a good piece of gear, does Canon and Panasonic work well side by side, color matching I mean? do yo have to white balance them first before production to get a close match?
The Panasonic 953 was used a couple years ago to tape a bicycle race along side a couple of XL1s cameras. Of course, they were all wb'd to daylight and the Panasonic footage intercut with the Canon footage very well. You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. The main limitation of the Panasonic is the 1/6th chips are in need of more light than the Canon.

-gb-
Old August 22nd, 2005, 06:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere
I think he just meant it wasn't an additional cost, because he obviously already has his NLE to edit.
He didn't just buy the NLE just to get that noise rid of, he had his NLE to edit with, and one of its functions came in handy for eliminating the noise of the XL1s.
He was just sharing (valuable) advice for people who would have the same problems with it, and would by any chance have the same NLE.
Don't attack him for trying to help, he never said he 'was worried' to buy it, it just saves him money.

Best regards,
I wasn't attacking him. I was concerned.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:14 AM   #11
Inner Circle

In that case, excuse me for my little bit over-the-top reaction.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:19 AM   #12
Major Player

i have both the system isolator and minimount. they are invaluable accessories, but not miracle workers. motor noise will be cut down, but will still be audible in very quiet environments. if you're really concerned with capturing high quality sound, there's really no replacement for running your audio off-camera as close to your sound source as possible.
Henry Cho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:36 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I bought the minimount to deal with the zoom motor noise but find it does little (even loose). For some reason, I thought it would do double duty on a boompole but the cost of converting it to a boom pole mount was as much or more as the original unit.

I'm finding it harder and harder to get a good deal on ebay for video gear. seems there's folks willing to buy used for nearly same price as new. So, be patient.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog