How many use both pd150 and xl1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 17th, 2002, 11:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

How many use both pd150 and xl1?

I just got back from a shoot following a senator around dc, took a pd150 with me instead of my xl1. I loved I have shot with it before but didnt delve that far into it. Theres things it does that I just cant do with my xl1, well things i can do with it that my skills with my xl1 wont allow. I still like my xl1 (not bashing here) just think I need a 150 as well it is very versatile and fills some areas where it would be more approprox than the xl. Anyone else using both do you split the duty? if you do which actions do you allocate to each......curious on others experiences, thoughts

Michel
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2002, 11:24 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: How many use both pd150 and xl1?

<<<-- Originally posted by michel brewer : Theres things it does that I just cant do with my xl1, well things i can do with it that my skills with my xl1 wont allow. I still like my xl1 (not bashing here) just think I need a 150 as well it is very versatile and fills some areas where it would be more approprox than the xl.

Michel -->>>

Like what for example?
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 12:11 AM   #3
Regular Crew

using both

Quite simply running and gunning if my subject is on the move, the pd150 with the flip out screen and light profile and image stabilizer is fabulous. The stock 16x lens on the xl1 even with image stabilizer just isnt great for that, I use the 16x manual lens on mine. There are times I had to go high, with the flip out screen I can keep my shot and go over others, the weight is not a problem either.

Its also the low profile the xl1 atracts attention and that can distract from what your trying to do, the amount of gear was less also could carry a small run bag and a flimsyier tripod than im used to ...with my xl1 i would never put it on a cheap tripod. In addition the 8 hour battery and built in xlrs with phantom power are a definate plus and the low light really there is no comparision...I shot a piece a few weeks ago that was mainly handheld with my xl1 it was fine, but quite simply it would have been easier with the pd150.

I plan on getting one i still will use my xl for a lot of shooting but since my needs are of the eng/documentry shooting having both cams would be invaluable there is just a lot of shots I wouldnt have gotten in those 4 days without the 150...
Michel Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2002, 12:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

Ahhh! Stealth and mobility! I've heard of those! ;)
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2002, 08:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Hi,
I have used both the XL1 and PD-150 and there is no question that the PD-150's image is better, especially in low light. The blacks are awesome with almost no noise. This is to be expected, as it is a newer camera with better specs in many areas.

I haven't checked out the phantom power (I used the built in mic), but a friend said he can't get it to power his mics... not sure why not.

The manual focus adjustment is better than XL1 also. It also shoots in DVcam mode.

I'm interested in having people with the XL1S compare to the PD-150. All the sites I've seen compare it to the XL1 only.

Anybody?

Ken
Ken Barnes is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog