Raynox Hd-fxr180 Fisheye Lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old August 24th, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1
New Boot

Raynox Hd-fxr180 Fisheye Lens

Has anyone here have any experience with this adaptor on the XL1s before like wedding or Dinner and Dance functions?
Terry Yuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2005, 11:15 AM   #2
Inner Circle

The full-frame-fisheye effect is an aquired taste Terry, and I'd be very careful where you use it, when and on whom. Wedding celebrations dont spring naturally to (my) mind.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

actually I reckon a fisheye lens or at least a wide angle lens might not be too bad for weddings since you are more or less just trying to catch everything. I saw a new police documentary on tv and the whole thing was shot with a fisheye lens (even vignetting came through)
however, i think it looks better to shoot low and up then holding it at shoulders height makin people look short and squashy...lol
Chris Westerstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Major Player

A wide angle lens is much better than a fisheye here. Fisheyes are only really good in very stylized videos. I'm sure your bride and groom wouldn't be too happy with the fact that they look like gigantic parenthesis. Plus, the degredation in image quality can be bad, and the vignetting is most of the time quite terrible.

Fisheyes are way too extreme for most shoots. They work in skate videos, or videos where capturing everything is more important than quality, but on a wedding video, it'd look terrible.
Tom Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

save the fisheye for the artsy shots

Use a wide-angle lens to set the scene - and then use it to get in close for that perspective intimacy you don't get with longer lenses....use it sparingly....and if you do use it, keep the important elements in the middle and let the outsides go distorted. Don't use a fisheye just for the sake of using an ultrawide lens....also think of things around you that naturally can be used as a fisheye lens (without the cost)....rounded mirrored objects....stainless steel...hubcaps, rearview mirrors...there are a tons of things that will make the wedding couple go "Wow" he used that thing that was part of our wedding props, instead of "geeze, he used a fisheye lens" ....
Dean Orewiler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog