DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   audio record and playback (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/502-audio-record-playback.html)

George Goltz December 12th, 2001 08:42 AM

audio record and playback

when using the 16bit mode is there any way to use both the onboard mic and a wireless at the same time.
if not then i would have to use 12bit 4 channels?
The manual explains about playing back audio and mixing channels but through analog output of the xl1s, what about firewire cable to editing (i-movie2)? what would the audio output be? Tape will then be 12 bit for about one hour and remaining audio would be 16 bit.Can the final edited tape be played back both as 12 and 16 bit, and then transfered to vhs?

Chris Hurd December 12th, 2001 08:51 AM

When using 16-bit, 2-channel mode, you have a *choice* of either the onboard stereo mic or two external mono mics, but not both. You'll have to switch to 12-bit, 4-channel mode to add a mic to the onboard stereo mic.

FireWire carries all 4 channels of audio. You'll need an editing system that can capture all 4 channels at once, such as the Canopus DVStorm or Apple Final Cut Pro.

Be sure to read the excellent "Introduction to XL1 Audio" on my website by Don Palomaki and Jon Burkhart. Go to www.dvinfo.net/xl1.htm and choose "Articles Menu," then "Microphone and Audio." While you're there, read Canon's 4-part "Guide to XL1 Audio." It will hopefully clear up a lot of things.

Nathan Gifford December 12th, 2001 08:58 AM

CineStream will too.

It is certainly easier to use a system that will capture all 4 channels at once. I believe the Mac version of CineStream will do this.

The Windows version of CineStream requires a second pass to pickup the sub channels. No big deal, especially with batch capture, but it is a nuisance.

One thing to be cautious about is that some editing systems may be picky about how you mix 16 and 12 bit audio. This can lead to disagreeable pops when the NLE renders the audio.

Nathan Gifford

Ed Frazier December 12th, 2001 09:05 AM

The Matrox RT2500 will also capture four channels in a single pass. Each pair is saved in a separate .wav file.

Ed Frazier

Sebastian December 12th, 2001 09:19 AM

Hi!
I use a mono mic as camera mic and plug it into the left channel of the rear audio input. The second mic (boom or wireless) can be connected to the right channel. So you can use 16 bit audio. After capturing this "2-mono-signal-containing-stereo-track" you just have to choose the left or the right channel in your editing-program and duplicate it to the blank stereo track.

Hope this helps,

peaceful christmas from Hamburg,

Sebastian

Don Palomaki December 12th, 2001 09:37 PM

FWIW, the Dazzle/FAST DV.now AV amd DV.now products also can capture 4-channel audio (you end up with 4 .wav files, one for each channel).

With a bit of effort you could use the standard mic with a wireless in 16-bit mode, but it would involve making, or finding some adapters to power the standard mic, combine its L/R signal into one channel and feed your wireless to the other channel. Not difficult but requiring some skill.

Michael Dontigney December 14th, 2001 09:01 PM

I find

I find that in most cases the 12bit is fine. I do quite a few wedding/event videos and have yet to hear a complaint. Actually, if a client seems like an audiophile, I'll first ask them to review a demo on DVD or VHS and ask their approval. If they don't notice the lower quality audio then I go for it. If they do, then I just use 16bit, and use a wireless on one track and a boom on the other. I've also used the wireless on the 2nd cam (GL1) and had excellent results.

Oh, ya.. I went from a DV Now.AV to a DVStorm in part due to the one pass 4 channel recording. I was spoiled by the DV Now.AV... hehe