What do you use for a second camera? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 3rd, 2005, 03:30 AM   #1
Major Player

What do you use for a second camera?

I was thinking of buying a Canon XM2 as my second camera as it as very high reviews and its more compact for going into smaller areas to film like at a Brides house before her wedding etc.

I wanted to know what you use for a second camera and why?

My main camera is at the moment a Canon XL1s, but I also hope to upgrade this too very soon to the new XL2.

Thanks
Paul Gallagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yes, I think for a second camera the XM2 would be your best choice, unless you have the money for another XL1s.
But many people use the XM2 and the XL1s, they seem to give a very similar picture quality (so I've heard).
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Wrangler

My 1st and 2nd cameras are XL1s, simply because back then I thought the footage would match better, plus I hoped I wouldn't have to do weddings. If buying now, I'd either do exactly what you're thinking with the XM2 or look at a couple of PD170s (because of the low light performance). I feel too conspicuous at weddings with my cameras, especially since someone always comments on how big they are. :)
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:27 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I have an XL1s and an XL1 but am about to use a PDX10 for a second camera partly because I need an underwater camera.
Old September 4th, 2005, 02:16 AM   #5
Major Player

Many thanks for all your feedback, and yes Lorinda, I always get told how big my XL1s is as well. They are a superb camera but just very big and in your face for things like at a brides house.

But outside a chapel they are the best as everyone knows to stay out of your way as you are the main videographer there on the day. I don't think you would get as well noticed with the smaller Canon XM2 as people might just think your a guest.

I haven't seen the picture quality on an XM2 but the reviews are very high on them and I'm more than happy with my own Canon's performance so if any of you own one are you happy with the picture quality on one?

And thanks again for your feeb back, it means a lot coming from proffessionals like yourselves in the business.
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:21 AM   #6
Wrangler

Have you read comments from GL2/XM2 owners in the other forum? You might get your answers there. But until someone else comes along I will give you my one experience with a GL2. (Besides, it gives me a chance to qualify your kind inclusion of me as a pro. I have miles to go compared to most folks here. :)

We shot a graduation ceremony with a guy from another company using a GL2. One XL1s was in back on full zoom, the GL2 was front and center, and the other XL1s was off to one side in front. We agreed on camera and exposure settings so I can only figure that the differences I saw were attributed to placement and light sources. The GL2 footage seemed more luminous with that unmistakable look of video, but it was clean. For my taste, the best-looking footage came from the camera in back. It was beautiful.

In defense of the GL2, the operator wasn't happy that we were there horning in on what he had decided was his territory, so it's possible his settings didn't match ours after all.

The only other footage I've seen from a GL2 was outdoor, and it looked good.

Check it out, but I think I've read somewhere around here that the XL1s and GL2/XM2 are basically the same camera, so you should be fine. (?)

Best wishes to you on your decision!
Old September 4th, 2005, 10:25 AM   #7
Major Player

Yes, Lorinda, the GL/XM-line are the same camera as the XL-line but the XL's have the big form factor with interchangeable lenses. GL1/XM1 or GL2/XM2 footage should look the same as the XL1/XL1S footage. The GL2 looks sharper to some, probably is because it's a newer camera with higher resolution CCD's. Still, the smaller GL/XM cameras should be perfect for B camera work and you can use perfectly matched Frame modes on both cameras if you want.
Old September 4th, 2005, 04:57 PM   #8
Major Player

I'd use the XL1s as your second camera once you buy a newer model camera. Don't buy something inferior to it. You'll be wasting your money.
Stephen Finton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2005, 04:25 AM   #9
Regular Crew

IMHO GL2 as a B camera to your XL1s setup seems pretty fine, especially if you don't wanna put extra cash for another XL1(2). I'm working with big BetaSP kit and always have my XM2 in bag which served many times as B camera without any problems.
Old September 7th, 2005, 03:13 AM   #10
Major Player

Again, thak you to you all for your help and I will check out the GL2 forum.

I always read about the GL2 on these forums but never knew they were the same sort of camera as the XM2.

Thank you all.

Paul
Old September 20th, 2005, 03:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I use a XL1s and XM2 and sometimes find the quality of video pretty much the same. The XM2 is great for shots where you need to get around easily and quickly, ie receptions at weddings, skate board meets etc. Sometimes its also nice to be able to blend in with the crowd and get some if those "natural" looking shots. A lot of people hate a big camera stuck in their faces and just shy away, I found the XM2 was great for a more natural response from people at weddings etc.

So, for my pennys worth, I`d go for an XM2 as a 2nd camera any day, especially as you pick up a cheap one if you look around.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog