DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Adding Transitions to my Film. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/506656-adding-transitions-my-film.html)

Allan Birch April 4th, 2012 10:00 AM

Adding Transitions to my Film.

Recently produced for client, 150 shot DVD of still photographs including music and transitions, now the stable owner asked if I could produce a video version of some 120, 20sec clips.
My problem. I have shot a short demo but this has turned into a film with no breaks where I had paused between clips so unable to trim clips or add any transition.
How to solve the problem ?
Cams used Canon XL1s x 2.
Software, AVS4U.
Many thanks.
Allan

Don Palomaki April 5th, 2012 05:43 AM

Re: Adding Transitions to my Film.

If I understand you question correctly:

Any decent NLE will allow placing stills photos (e.g., JPG, TIF, BMP, etc. files) on a time line for a user specified duration for each still and add a user selected transition between each pair of stills (as well as apply other effects). Further, you can sync it to audio with transitions paced to the audio.

If working from an existing video of stills, the NLE will allow you to cut the video at at the slide change to add a transition, and if you need to adjust the length of the still video clip you can trim it, or repeat the video clip to lengthen it to provide the leaway needed for a transition.

If the existing material is on video tape, some video capture program will do the capture and automatically create a new clip at each change in still image if cofigured to do so.

Allan Birch April 6th, 2012 07:15 AM

Thank you Don for reply.
Perhaps I didnt make my enquiry clear, sorry, I dont have problem making DVD of stills and all that goes with it, the trouble I have is trying to do a DVD of clips useing the XL1s. All I can produce is a continuous
film even though paused at various stages.
I have a small Canon G6 digi camera, that can produce as many short video clips [up to 30 secs each clip} by pausing during the shoot, which I can import into my editing software. alter,trim etc to my hearts content. This I cant do with the XL1s and wonder if its impossible with this cam.?
At the end of your reply Don you mentioned "Video Capture Program", would this type of program produce clips at each paused point of the film produced by the XL1s ?

Don Palomaki April 6th, 2012 09:29 AM

Quote:

At the end of your reply Don you mentioned "Video Capture Program", would this type of program produce clips at each paused point of the film produced by the XL1s ?
In general, yes, but it can very with the specific capture program you use and whether or notit is configured to split the videp into separate clips. The tape-based program generally record continuous video (no breaks in video recorded to the tape) when pause is used to stop/start the recording. (Reviewing the record tape after a pause might introduce a break - a gap in recorded video.)

Many non-linear editing programs can capture video, and captrue it as separate clips at each pause in the recording process.

I now use the Edius 6 NLE program, but there are many others at various price points and capabilites. Ther also are dedicated capture programs that can do it.