DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   XL1 AC Adapter? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/507449-xl1-ac-adapter.html)

Aaron Dunlap May 1st, 2012 07:44 AM

XL1 AC Adapter?

Does anyone know where to pic up the coupler for the battery charger? All I need is the adapter for the camera.... not the battery charger itself. I believe the part number is DC-905DC... these seem to be discontinued everywhere though.

Is there a newer coupler that is compatible with the original battery charger?

Chris Soucy May 1st, 2012 05:49 PM

Re: XL1 AC Adapter?

Hi, Aaron..........

The later units changed the charger end connector for a Canon proprietry one, so, no milage there with just the cable.

However, despite the later charger supplying 7.2 volts instead of the XL1/s's 6 volts, my XL1s works fine with it and the camera adapter from the later cam also works in my XL1s.

Your best bet is to try all the usual places to see if a second hand charger/ cable can be had, even a deceased XL1/s or XH complete with charger and cable should be pretty cheap.

You may wish to ask in the other Canon Forums what battery types/ voltages and adapter formats the new cameras use, if they're compatible, you could always buy a new unit if really pressed.

CS

PS: I'd almost be prepared (I said almost!) to bet a charger/ adapter from any of the Canon "non dinky cam" cameras would do the job, but I'll let one of the gurus either confirm or deny.

Don Palomaki May 1st, 2012 06:38 PM

The DC-905 came with the GL1 but it does fit the XL1 and the CA-900 power supply/charger.
The XL1 used a DC-900 - slightly different shape.. (The GL1 came with a CA-910 power supply/charger - pin similar to the CA900.)
The camcorders are more than 7 years beyond discontinuation, so parts support will spotty at best.

The GL2 (as does the XL2, XL H1 and XH A1) has a CA-920 power supply and a DC-920 adapter. The DC920 does not not plug into the the CA-900. However, the CA-920 with DC-920 can power the XL1.

Maybe watch e-Bay?

Chris Soucy May 2nd, 2012 02:00 AM

Just to clarify the previous post:

It would seem my bet is won, every "non dinky cam" charger/ adapter (in combination) will fit the XL1,

At least, that's what I think Don said.

Hard to tell the wood from the trees with some of his posts, there's such a thing as "too much information".

Thanks though Don, very usefull.

CS.

Don Palomaki May 2nd, 2012 05:56 AM

With a little skill and cunning and someparts from your favorite electronics parts house you could probably adapt an old battery case to work. But be careful to ensure proper polarity before you plug it in, otherwise you could below some internal fuses.