Mike Inputs for Canon XL-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old November 22nd, 2002, 06:09 PM   #1
Dennis Miyahara

Mike Inputs for Canon XL-1

I am having a hard time trying to figure out how to use the shotgun mike that came with my camera AND a lavalier mike simultaneously. I would like the shotgun to pickup natural sound in one channel while my lavalier picks up the voice of the talent in the other channel (channel 2). How can I configure the inputs to do this?

Thanks,

D.M.
Old November 22nd, 2002, 09:18 PM   #2
Sponsor: JET DV

Change the camera settings in the camera to 12 bit Stereo 1 + 2 and plug the second mic into the plugs on the side of the handle (stereo 2) leaving the onboard mic on stereo 1. With this setup you will be recording on 3 of the 4 available tracks.

If you attempt to record anything on stereo 1 via the rca jacks on the back, you will turn OFF the onboard mic so you cannot use, for example, the onboard mic left and an external mic right.

Also, you will need to make sure your software will capture the second audio channel. If yours does not, an inexpensive option that will capture video and stereo 1 to an avi file while simultaneously capturing stereo 2 to a wav file is Scenalyzer Live ($33).
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2002, 03:06 PM   #3
Dennis Miyahara

Thanks EdwardTr & another question...

Thanks Ed for your help in this matter. Your advice was useful and more importantly it worked! Unfortunately I made an error in my post. I forgot to mention that I am using an XLR 2 channel audio adaptor on my camera (Canon model number MA-100). That said is it still possible to do what I want to do, that is record my talent as well as his natural sound on two separate channels? I really appreciate you taking time to answer my questions.

Thanks (or as we say in Hawaii, MAHALO)

Dennis
Old November 25th, 2002, 05:31 PM   #4
Wrangler

You can connect the MA-100 RCA cords to the Audio 2 connectors in the side of thehandle, just leave the power cord plugged into the 2.5mm mini-jack on the back .
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2002, 01:59 PM   #5
Sponsor: JET DV

If you follow my instructions precisely, the on-camera microphone will still record on Stereo 1. You connect the MA-100 plugs to the RCA connectors on the SIDE of the handle (under the rubber cover) and NOT ON THE BACK of the handle (under the door). Then whatever is connected to the MA-100 will be recorded on Stereo 2. And, yes, the little plug still needs to be connected to the BACK of the handle.

This is the best way I have found to get both the on-camera sound plus additional mics.
Edward Troxel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog