DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Tis the season, what are the top 10? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/5162-tis-season-what-top-10-a.html)

Michel Brewer November 26th, 2002 10:50 PM

Tis the season, what are the top 10?

As we near Thanksgiving, and the start of the shopping season....1st happy holidays to Chris and all the wardens of this board for having this place for us. Secondly what are the top ten items everyone should have for their XL1 from shotgun mic's to travel cases; what is the top ten list from all of you?The must haves for the complete XL1; It might help some of us on our Holiday wish lists!

Paul Sedillo November 26th, 2002 11:36 PM

Hello Michel,

Happy holidays back at you. There is an article on DVinfo.net that talks about things to get for the XL1s. Listed below is a link to that article:

http://www.dvinfo.net/canon/articles/article79.htm

Hope this helps!

Dylan Couper November 27th, 2002 12:13 AM

Personally, I'm asking Santa for a Cavision bellows style matte box. I've been bad, but no worse than usual, so there is a chance I might get it. ;)

Here's the top ten things I would say you should ask for, in no particular order.
1) a good tripod
2) chamois eyepiece cover
3) external LCD monitor
4) microphone windscreen
5) a nice carrying bag
6) an extra battery
7) another extra battery
8) a quality pair of headphones
9) a box of extra tapes
10) a bottle of Vodka. The ultimate production tool. Makes for a good bribe, weapon, anisthetic, or stress reliever during a bad shoot.

Everyone probably has a UV filter, so I wouldn't add that.

Adrian Douglas November 27th, 2002 12:56 AM

Dylan, you forgot the 3 feet of fresh and bluebird skies.

Michel Brewer November 27th, 2002 02:14 AM

10 things

Dylan:

I am asking Santa for:

a sachtler tripod

a frezzi mini fill + aspen belt

a century wide angle lens for a 16X manual or stock

I;'ll be happy with that santa

Frank Granovski November 27th, 2002 03:53 AM

I don't own the XL1s, but my wife's cousin owns 2. I think a great Christmas item for the XL1 would be 16:9 lens...now someone just has to make one---or is there one available now?

Jesse Meehl November 27th, 2002 01:16 PM

hmmm, lets see

1. Glidecam Gold series sled, vest, and arm
2. P+S Technik mini 35, to make my xl1s heavy enough for the glidecam.
3. a set of good prime lenses, whatever's the best!
4. Skycrane premier
5. Sony field monitor
6. an assistant to help me carry all my new equipment.
7. BMW M3, to haul everything ; )

that's all I can think of

Greg Vaughn November 27th, 2002 03:18 PM

The Simple Things

Mine are simple: A GL2 to keep my XL1S company, and, Brooke Burke to keep me occupied (my cameras will know what to do).

G

John Threat November 30th, 2002 07:26 AM

1. Cavision Matte Box w/ Pistol Grips
2. P+S Technik Mini 35 Adapter
3. Prime Lens set to go with P+S Technik Adapter!
4. Follow Focus
5. Lens Tissue!! Please! For the love of god man!
---------------------------------------------------------------
6. A year supply of gaffer and camera tape.
7. 3 C-Stands with a set Dugalteen Flags.
8. A HMI w/ Ballast, to keep in the closet.
9. A Battery Belt replete with large-capacity batteries!
10. A XL-2 Body that I can beta test.

the first part I am going to get.
the second part is fantasy land.

Ken Barnes December 1st, 2002 07:54 AM

Adrian, Do you ski? Or board? Got awesome steeps over here in Ishikawa. Good off piste, no boarders allowed though at Seymour. Yeah, Dylan, that's right, it's a sister hill to Seymour in Van. I grew up in Vancouver, actually.

Very early Merry Xmas to all. Doubt I'll be posting much after this. Busy time. And preparing for ski trip to Hokkaido for xmas. Taking the little TRV-900 of course. Got some good Japan ski shots in the past few years.

Top Ten? Shouldn't it be twelve (days of Xmas)?

Okay, no budget limit.

1. Sennheiser MKH-416 (just got one, sweet!)
2. Sony TRV-10 DVCam walkman
3. Bogen Tripod/Head
4. Mackie Mixer (1202 or 1402)
5. A bunch of batteries
6. Good headphones that block extraneous sound
7. That optional Canon Lens that is totally manual
8. A great script
9. Time to shoot it
10. Heaps of cheap (read: free) talent
11. Personal Shiatsu masseuse
12. Forget the vodka, bring on the sake (preferably warm, consumed as snow lightly falls while bathing in an outdoor hot spring, preferably with the personal masseuse)

Ken

Ken

Dylan Couper December 1st, 2002 10:11 AM

Ken, just to point out, although you may enjoy sake better than vodka, in most parts of the world vodka makes a much better bribe for policeman, and a good solid bottle, once the end is smashed makes a good defence against thieves. Of course, it is also a valid for of payment to bums and street people to get them to grip for you for a day. Of course, so is rubbing alcohol.

If we were to go for an all out Christmas list, I would no doubt ask for a mini35 and set of prime lenses. But then I wonder why stop there? I'd take a 35mm rig and about a million feet of film and free work at a lab to process it. And of course, two camera operators, a sound guy, a few grips, and a big casting couch. And of course, world peace would be nice.

Nathan Gifford December 1st, 2002 03:47 PM

I would second a good tripod to go with my 503 and ball leveler.

BTW, if you do not have a ball leveler I would put that near the top of any list.

Besides the stuff recommend in the DVinfo article, I would mind having a second Sennheiser Evolution 100 mic system. I have one and think it is pretty darn good (trying to give up the da#% word).

A good quality monitor is a good idea too. If I could find one that does 16:9, 4:3, and TFT for under $300 would be nice.

Ken Barnes December 1st, 2002 11:41 PM

Dylan and all,
Point taken. Apologies for my grandiose desires.
However, I do think world peace might have a de-stabilizing effect on the economy. Wouldn't want all those nice media and military people out of work, would we? On second thought, maybe we oughta give it a shot. Might free up some talent and equipment : )

Ken

PS. Ever seen a decent bottle of sake? Great heft, and balance.

Dylan Couper December 2nd, 2002 01:00 AM

Ken, I usualy only get sake served to me in those little white bottles while eating sushi. I forgot that it comes in big bottles and is only served in the little ones. Would make a heck of a club. :)

Anyway, now all I want for Christmas is fresh powder at Cypress.
A R G H !

Don Berube December 2nd, 2002 01:57 AM

I'll settle for a $25,000 shopping spree at ZGC. Or how about an all expenses paid trip to Germany to work with Uwe and Ben from RAID??? Now, that would be sweet.

Note to self: Write Santa a letter to tell him what I want for Christmas...

- don