What could have caused this on my XL-1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 14th, 2001, 12:45 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What could have caused this on my XL-1?

Hi Guys,

I rescently shot a wedding, looked at the footage, and I was not happy with the results (quality wise).
So I took it to Canon for repair, thinking it may be a quick adjustment or two, I was hit with a $760 bill, they are saying, the motherboard and focus rings needs to be changed.
I gave them the go ahead to repair, trusting their technicians and I will pick the camera up in a few days.

The initial problem I noticed after viewing my shots, were the colours and grainy footage!! It almost looked like I shot with an 8mm!

The XL-1 has alway surprised me everytime I finish a shoot and view it on Tv Monitor, I guess this time it has done so as well.

Now what would cause this "Motherboard and focus rings" to blow, even though the camera is still functioning???

Thanks in advance,
Shloooky
Elie Zakaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2001, 12:55 PM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Any number of things could have contributed to this... there are so many different variables to think about. It could have been caused by a power fluctuation, perhaps a spike in AC power or a bad battery, or improper voltage from a third-party battery pack. Very difficult to say how, without knowing your particular camera and its history.

How old is it? Have you sent it in for regular service at least once per year? If not, you may have been due for a malfunction for a long time. Frankly, what caused this to occur is not nearly as important as the fact that it's repairable, and you'll soon be back in business.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog