LCD Screen at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old October 12th, 2005, 06:17 PM   #1
Regular Crew

LCD Screen

Ok, this may be a little far fetched, but I had to ask.

I have two Samsung SCD-107 soccer mom camcorders.

They are horrible little things, but have these big beautiful 3.5 inch LCD screens on them.

Has anyone ever figured out the wiring and used something like this as a monitor for an XL1S?

I'd prefer some professional advice before I start tearing in to these things.

Thanks!

...Andy
Andy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
Major Player

Wow, I'm thinking about doing the same thing (unfortunately I'm also looking for info on this), but please, if anyone knows anything about it speak up!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2005, 10:29 AM   #3
Regular Crew

hmm...

Well, I guess I will be a pioneer and attempt this on my own.

No one has any input whatsoever?

I'm going to give it a day, and then tomorrow: it's on.

...Andy
Andy Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Tourist

You can't easily rip a LCD off any camcorder and make it into a "line-in" lcd monitor. Most of them run off a specific lcd driver chip. Most are "digital" from the video processor chip directly into the LCD driver chip. No analog. If you do decide to do this, you can build a coverter circuit to do this.

another way, use the line-in feature of the camcorder. You'll just have to carry two cameras.

Curtis
Curtis Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:38 AM   #5
Major Player

Using line in on the other camera's a pretty good idea... to get around having a whole other camera, I should think the casing could be removed and the inards stripped as much as possible to stick the whole thing in a smaller, mountable case. Things like the lens and CCD and the tape deck take up a lot of space, and that can all be removed.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams" -Arthur O'Shaunessey (as quoted by Willy Wonka)
Justine Haupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2005, 05:54 AM   #6
Wrangler

How to do it.

1. Buy the service manuals from the Canon and Samsung machines so you can hopefully develop an understanding of how the LCD panels communicate with the rest of the camcorder. Perhaps a $100 investment.

2. Determine what signal translation is required between the signals the XL1 outputs and what the Samsung panel expects to receive.

3. Build the necessary adapters and translators circuits.

4. If you use anything other thatnthe analog video output (or peerhaps the XL1s CVF output jack signals, void any remaining warranty on the camcorder.

Just looking quickly at what it would take to put a GL1 LCD panel on an XL1, (all Canon, should be simple, right?). It is not simple drop-in, would rquire extensive signal conversions, and would in all probability be cheaper, neater, and a lot faster to buy a low cost LCD monitor if your time is worth anything.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog