XL-1s 16X IS II Lens focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 5th, 2002, 09:03 AM   #1
Bill Ritter

XL-1s 16X IS II Lens focus

I have a problem with my standard lens, if I zoom in to max teleophoto and then focus, when I zoom out in Manual focus the focus seems to shift towards me. If I focus back onto the original object and then zoom in again it is grossly out of focus. Camera is in manual mode, manual focus, IS is off and this occurs in indoor, outdoor, chapel, and auditorium conditions (I tried different fstops)

I believe that this is a backfocus problem, what can I do about it?

Does anyone have the XL-1 Owners club hotline number. I have applied, but didn't get email or anything back.

Thanks

Bill in Ohio
Old December 5th, 2002, 11:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

My lens is at Canon Service right now with the exact same problem. I should know some time next week if they solved my problem. My lens is brand new and came this way, but it's now getting worse, especially when I use my matte box.

The number to Canon's XL1 CLub is 1-800-OK-CANON and press 8. They'll require you to enter your member number but you might be able to figure out a way to get in touch with someone.

G
Greg Vaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 09:38 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hey guys,
Do yourself a favor and see if you can pay the difference and get a manual lense. Smartest thing I EVER did!! Yes, the price is a little bit more, but man, focusing is a thing of the past. When the subject moves towards you or away from you, theres no question or hesitation which way to spin your focus. Like I say, it can cost you, but what a difference.
Kelly
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2002, 09:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'm actually hoping Santa will bring me a 16X manual lens. I've borrowed one before and loved it.

I would also advise anyone who's trying to decide on which lens to get, to consider the 16X M over the 16X IS II if your style permits (or both). The 3X wide angle is my favorite and I sure wish Canon made a manual version of it too.

G
Old December 7th, 2002, 08:06 PM   #5
Bill Ritter

Thanks for the info. I sent it back today with RMA code. I ended up calling Canon and they confirmed my application to XL-1 club was in and told me how to get it sent back for a fix.

Thanks again

Bill
Old January 1st, 2003, 01:55 AM   #6
Regular Crew

To Kelly
Which manual lens did you obtain? Is it a Canon?
I'm also quite fe-up with the focussing problem on the XL1 - so much so, that I'm considering changing to a SonyPD150. How is it that Sony lenses do not have all these problems with focussing??
Regards
Ewald
Ewald Hayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2003, 10:54 PM   #7
Bill Ritter

After getting my camera and lens back from Canon, I am a happy camper. I can go the full range of zoom without any problems. No jumping of focus etc. I did the tests on houses with good patterns on them in manual focus and from a tripod with stabilisation off. I could zoom in or out and had no problem at all with losing critical focus or a momentary loss of focus. It was like what I had learned to expect from my Canon GL-1.

Thanks from all who gave suggestions.

Bill in Ohio
Old January 1st, 2003, 11:24 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I should also add that my lens came back from Canon several weeks ago and all seems well too.

G
Old January 7th, 2003, 02:34 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ewald,
Yes, my manual lense is a Canon 16X. Great lense!! Focusing is so much easier, it was the greatest purchase I made with my new camera.
Kelly Hoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2003, 08:35 PM   #10
Regular Crew

lens has its own mind

I have a focus problem with the XL-1 lens in manual mode which I don't know if Canon can fix. It doesn't seem like a back focus problem because when you zoom in tight focus, zoom out and then in again its good. I have a problem when the zoom is completely wide and in focus. Then all of a sudden something new moves by the lens and the focus just drifts out. Seems like it's still in autofocus mode and I know its not. I find myself pushing the autofocus button all the time to keep the lens in focus. Is this a problem like the ones in the previous posts or is this something different???
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:00 AM   #11
Bill Ritter

Jonathan

Just to make sure, make sure you are not in the green box selection on the video mode selector dial. If you are in the "easy" green box mode, you can't select manual focus, it stays in autofocus. If you select "A" or any of the manual type video modes you can select manual focus.

Bill
Old January 12th, 2003, 09:48 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Bill,
Checked it and the camera is in the "A" mode and the focus still just drifts out when in manual foucus.

Johnathan
John Dimasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2003, 04:01 PM   #13
New Boot

I have just posted the following in a similair thread on this board.

I've noticed a similair to the effect you are experiencing when my XL1s is in the (M)anual mode. Although I don't get the wide angle drift the XL1s seemed incapable of holding focus when zooming in and out. At first I thought that I had a back focus problem.

Strangely, setting the gain control to +0dB (or whatever) rather than (A)uto completely eliminates this problem. I've tested this several times. The last time being 5 minutes before making this post.

Does anybody else get similair results?

Interesting, eh?
James Graham is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog