DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   MA 200/wedding/radio mic. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/53252-ma-200-wedding-radio-mic.html)

John Doran October 24th, 2005 02:08 AM

MA 200/wedding/radio mic.

I want to wire the groom with a radio seinhiser 100 mic for the "i take you" bits, i want to use the onboard mic for the priest, can i use both together, will the radio mic pick up the priest as well or how do i go about it, why only one channel on radio mic, and two on onboard mic, do i have to switch the switch inside the whit door evwry time the priest , groom or bride speaks, or what,....as i am totally lost in this can of situation.
please help....
john.

Don Palomaki October 24th, 2005 03:45 AM

Wireless (radio) mic can be on the groom or priest - usually works either way. Might be better on the priest because he does more talking.

Unless you are close in, or there is a good PA system, the onbord mic will be too far from the people speaking to pickup good voice.

The onboard mic is stereo, most wireless are mono intended for one person use, but they will pick up nearby speakers as well.

Azden has released some dual channel models that will work with two mics.

If using the onboard mic for stereo ambient sound, you can use the 12-bit/4-channel mode and feed your wireless mics to the Audio 2 input jacks. It is covered in the manuals, test to be sure you get it right well in advance of an event.

Note that not all NLE systems suport 4-channel recording, and you might have to capture souind from the Audio 2 channels separately. It is coverd elsewhere on this site.

John Doran October 25th, 2005 05:05 AM

xl

don thanks

doesnt answer my question though
j

Don Palomaki October 26th, 2005 04:20 AM

What part rermains unanswered to you? Might be better to list your remaining questions one paragraph per question so the answer can be more clearly mapped to the question.

Keep in mind when reading any recommendatons on any forum that what may prove inadequate perfromance for one person may be fine for another person's needs/purposes.

In some cases you may want to gather a couple friends and simulate the setup to see if it works OK for you; e.g., picking up priest with on-board mic.

John Doran October 26th, 2005 05:28 AM

mic

don
many thanks for your reply.
john

John Doran October 28th, 2005 04:01 AM

mic

would this work as stated below, if so what mono mic would be suitable for the xl1s

the other option i used sometimes, which depends on your wireless mic setup, the mic might be mono. in that case, you could record 16bit 2channel with 1-channel being the mono mic, and the 2nd channel from whatever other microphone. then, in vegas/fcp/etc.. seperate the audio channels, duplicate each one (so each mono channel becomes stereo) and voila, you have "4 channel audio" from a 2channel 16bit source."

Don Palomaki October 28th, 2005 04:47 AM

It can work OK as far as feeding a wireless to one channel and a wired mic to the other channel in 2-channel mode. The wired mic and the wireles output should be about the same level because both channels on an audio input will have the same input level; i.e., mic, mic att, and (consumer) line level.

As to a mic recommendation, that will depend on your budget and how you plan to use or position the mic, There are many threads here discussion various mics and their performance.

The method you ask about does become 4-channel sound in the NLE, but the4 duplicatd channels to not creat a stereo pair because the L and R channels for each channel pair contain identical mono sound, but it can work to provide a simulated stereo in the final edited product..

John Doran October 28th, 2005 05:38 AM

thanks don

that clears that up , now a mic rhat would fit into the xl1s, i know the rode video mic won't, but something along that range/price.

many thanks
john

Don Palomaki October 29th, 2005 05:48 AM

Although I have not tried one, the Rode VideoMic should work on the XL1s (have you read otherwise?), but you will need a mini-phone to RCA adapter if you intend to use it on the Audio 1 input jack with a wireless mic feeding the other channel.

In the roughly same price range is the Sennheuiser MKE300, and Azden offers several models in roughly the price range too, althought the published specs indicate that the Rode could be the best of this lot.

Arguably among the best available without totally breaking the bank is the Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo, but it is higher priced. And some folks like the AT-897 which is priced a bit lower.

Lots of other mic brands and models available that are suitable for video use. Check this and other forums here and elsewhere for user comments.