Need help connecting exterior monitor at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old September 20th, 2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Tourist

Need help connecting exterior monitor

Greetings everyone!

I am new to the forum, and also new to professional camcorders. I recently purchased a Canon XL1S, and noticed that the viewfinder is on the left side, meaning that you have to use your right eye to view. UNFORTUNATELY, I recently lost vision in my right eye, due to several retina detachments.

I then purchased a MARSHALL V-LCD50-HDMI monitor which mounts to the top of the camcorder on the boot. The only connection on the back of this monitor is HDMI. Unfortunately the Canon XL1S does NOT have an HDMI connection. So, how in the world will I ever get this monitor to work???

I found an RCA to HDMI cord, purchased it and hooked it up. I figured that I would get a picture, but it would be analog (because of the RCA connection) but sadly when I hooked it up, the monitor still displayed NO SIGNAL.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get these two components to work together??

HELP!!!!

Gary
Charlotte, NC
Gary Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 05:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Need help connecting exterior monitor

You will need more than just a cable for this unfortunately. I recently looked at HDMI converters for my own use, they are pretty inexpensive. However the ones I've seen require external power, although I suppose you could rig a 12 volt battery for this if needed. B&H photo has a few at prices starting around $60.

Or try a Google search for something such as "composite to hdmi converter" (the RCA plug on your XL1 should be composite video). I'm more of a "Sony Guy"... does the XLIs have s-video or maybe even component video output also? These would give a much better quality image (component would be best if available).

I recently picked up a component to HDMI coverter for $30 from a company called sewelldirect. It would not work properly for my use, but I'm starting to think the problem lies in the tape deck I connected to it and not the converter. I believe the same company has several similar inexpensive converters that can do composite video. I gather this kind of device is often used to connect older videogames to modern TV's.

[edit]Just another thought… can you still return the Marshall monitor that you purchased? I think you will find other monitors that will directly accept composite or component video without the need for special cables or converters.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20th, 2016, 06:36 PM   #3
Wrangler

FWIW, on my XL1 (not the S variant) I find that I can adjust the EVF to the left enough to allow viewing with my left eye, but if you have a very wide head, it might not work for you. This is explained on page 10 of the XL1 manual, and on page 16 of the XL1S instruction manual.
Old September 30th, 2016, 07:29 PM   #4
Tourist

Boyd,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, after further research I discovered that I would have to have a converter along with it. I think before it's all over, it will be way too bulky to carry around.

I may have to just buy another monitor. I bought the Marshall monitor from some young guy on Craigslist AS IS.

Oh, BTW Don..... I do have a big head, so I'm sure if I move it over, I'll never be able to see through it. Anyway, I love the idea of viewing the video from an external monitor, especially when I have it mounted on my tripod.

Appreciate both of you taking the time to respond to my dilemma.

Gary Henry
Charlotte, NC
Gary Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2016, 07:21 PM   #5
Wrangler

FWIW: B&H has an ikan VH8 8" monitor with HDMI and composite inputs on sale for a couple days while supplies last for $140. I've no experience with it though.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog