DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Skipping XL1s shotgun mic input? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/5365-skipping-xl1s-shotgun-mic-input.html)

Kelly Hoggard December 7th, 2002 10:09 PM

Skipping XL1s shotgun mic input?

I thought why not just get myself a shotgun mic (with battery since there is no phantom power), and run it directly into channel two of my MA-100. Then run my wireless into channel one. Wouldn't this be just like the ENG cameras we have all been using over the years? Also, I could record in 16 bit and control either channel manually. This sounds like the most simple and solid way to go. Anyone got positive or negative reactions to this setup?
Kelly

Don Palomaki December 8th, 2002 07:31 AM

Just be aware that in 16-bit mode you will be recording from the Audio 1 or stock mic jack. The level control is setup for stereo with a ganged volume conrol that effects both channels and a balance control. Also, both inpouts will be at consumer line, MIC ATT or MIC sensitivity.

George Goltz December 9th, 2002 09:03 AM

Thats exactly what Ive been trying to do, using the onboard mic of the XL1S, but havent been able to get the power connector (sub mini) extention cable needed so I can connect the audio cable side to the ma200 xlr imput.
along with a wireless each on one audio channel(audio1) and in 16bit.Awsome configuration and avoids use of 4 channel
32bit which is a not easy to use with fcp3 software.

Kelly Hoggard December 9th, 2002 02:31 PM

Yeah, I don't think I have run across the sub mini adapter as of yet. I'm sure there is one. If you find one let me know where you got it (Radio shack, web-site, stolen, etc.). Being able to control the audio thru the MA-100 Or 200 would be very professional and a heck of a lot easier. Plus, no more changing menus and swithces on the fly to get good audio. I'm already fed up with having to bump my gain dial to +12 then roll my iris dial open when I pan from a lighted stage to a crowd shot (but thats a different forum).
Kelly

Don Palomaki December 10th, 2002 05:20 AM

Your friendly neighborhood electronics technician geek type should be able to make the short cables you need after a visit to an electronics parts shop for the connectors needed. Not difficult. But the MA-100 does nto provide controls, just a XLR /balanced to unbalanced conversion, with about 6 dB of gain for good measure.

Check the "Standard XL1 mic" thread, there is a post from an individual who has made sucha cable. He may be able to help you find the parts, etc.

George Goltz December 10th, 2002 06:47 AM

thanks for all the imput

Darin Aho December 17th, 2002 12:32 PM

I'm not sure what you'all are talking about, but if you're saying to get adapters to go into the onboard standard mic input it's not as easy as running down to get the connectors. I've been looking all over for a 3/32 extension cable and can't find it. The 1/8 extension is easy to find though. Question here, I'm assuming the audio signal runs on the 1/8 jack and the 3/32 jack is just for power?

Darin Aho December 17th, 2002 01:06 PM

Answered my own question.
Yep looks like the 3/32 (2.5mm) is for power.
1/8 (3.55mm) carries the signal.