Film at 11 (long post) - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 4th, 2003, 08:00 PM   #31
Major Player

You are correct, networks believe something is better than nothing on events that are jawdropping. But I believe a network of on-call videographers would need more common assignments. If someone gets something spectacular they can always call the studios themselves. To make a service of on-call videographers worth managing would require them to have more frequent assignments. A website with a list of geographical listings would handle the disaster type events and give individuals some recognition. Remember that to shoot news and be invited into media only locations requires press passes. Press pass issuance usually requires a business license. Everyone needs some training to learn what not to do at a crime scene and what to do for the story. At the scene one has to tip-toe lightly with johnny law, someone going in at full steam is going to be removed from the area. Law enforcement will not talk to someone unprofessional, passes or not. Training and experience isn't neccessary to get that sudden huge event, but to get law enforcement to cooperate with you is another story. Last but not least, to report a story one has to tell the truth to the assignment editor and report the story without bias.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 02:30 PM   #32
Major Player

After thinking about all this, It is a great idea and I apologize if I seemed negative. I believe a useful tool to people who want to shoot for the media would be to have a website where we could be geographically located, have information about us, and have a space for a single photo or small AVI so that we could post our stories. If a network or studio is slow and needs news (and this happens) they would have a resource for it. By the time they get used to looking at posted available stories, when something big happened, the website would be instantly looked at. After a while, a national group that big (with some quality) would be scrolling across assignment editors desks 24-7. Not only news, but occaisionally the Early Show or the Today show needs video. A producer in New York may need footage of a new facility in the Smokies etc. The one thing I wish I could sell were human interest stories. I know a man that flies a 16ft walmart jon boat, yes it has wings and an engine. But for most local studios, if they know it's going to happen, or they won't miss anything by waiting, they send their own crews. Rather than managing people, I believe it would be easier to manage information, but it will have the same basic outcome. And the future for the website would not stop, documentaries, corporate videos, still photo's, crew avalability. Last but not least, who has the higher numbers, pro news crews and vans, or stringers? A national/world camera network springing up overnight could have a massive effect on the industry.
Old February 6th, 2003, 03:04 PM   #33

film at 11

The biggest problem I see is one discussed earlier... how to get footage on the Net without serious resolution loss. It takes less time for me to drive to Denver and back (three hours each way)than it would for me to try to upload a decent video file. Most of us in the boonies only have dial-up service.
Old February 6th, 2003, 07:57 PM   #34
Major Player

Footage would have to be transfred by a local station, the reason for a single still or very very short avi (maybe quicktime would be smaller/better) would be as a lead into the story.
Old February 6th, 2003, 08:31 PM   #35
Major Player

How fast would it need to reach the station? We could overnight or 12-hour it (mail) to a news station on DVD or MiniDV. But time is an issue and also amount of money to ship. They would probably need it right away so that wouldn't work.
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2003, 10:16 PM   #36

film at 11

You suggestion is a good one for mini-features, Scott. But hard news has to be new, or it's just history.
Old February 7th, 2003, 09:06 AM   #37
Major Player

For you Charles, This is where technology will have to come in. One company (don't remember name but ticker is DTMG) has found a way to increase internet speed 7x, will implement in the near future. Also, what about compression, I have zero knowledge about compression but I'm sure someone here does.
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:50 AM   #38
New Boot

In '99 I had this utopian idea that the internet was the "great equalizer." Able to create a world information network that would bypass the corp. run news organizations that control the information that gets disseminated to the public.

My idea - in a sentence- was to 'arm' the world with cams and set up a central loc. on the web to air the footage. Especially during big 'events.'

Seems like the same idea here - a coalition of news gatherers.

In '99 I got partners and bought gear and launced OnlineVoice.com. The partners quashed the original idea and refocused it to entertainment. We almost got the big funding bucks when DEN crashed the online entertainment gig and POP folded.

I kept the gear, the contacts, research, and the experience - including web streaming.

This may be a fit for what you guys are talking about.
I've got the sight- check it out to see my bio. I definitely can't do it alone so it'll take a few of us with some biz acumen.
I'm in LA, Ca.

<<Should give a new dimention to news and stories hitting the airwaves from all corners of the planet, maybe even give a voice to those in countries whos goverments like to sweep things under the carpet! Didi Schoeman>> difficult, but not impossible.
Old February 10th, 2003, 12:55 AM   #39
New Boot

BTW- I have answers and contacts for all of the tech issues you've all brought up.

None of them are insurmountable.
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:18 AM   #40
Major Player

Sandy,
What is your solution for getting footage to the station without a 3-5 hour drive? I would love to know!

Thanks.
Scott Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2003, 01:44 AM   #41
New Boot

Scott-
The variables determine the solution, 'course.

One important thing I learned is how not to talk too much. ie: Information and ideas are an asset.

I love to talk about this stuff, and don't want to seem like an ass. sorry.

BTW- I do want to make sure that you all know about the Independent Media Org. (indymedia.org) Didn't like them much myself, but it may be a ready made fit to what you're looking for. I thought it was my OnlineVoice type idea, but I didn't like what I saw inside. Kind of well... sensationalist and un-professional and a bit BIASED. But maybe that was just my take.

Cameraplanet.com no opinion here 'cept that my heart sank when I saw them at a trade show when we were formulating OnlineVoice. One of the reasons ONLV (onlinevoice) switched to entertainment format.

**SCOTT - check yr email
Old March 17th, 2003, 10:32 AM   #42
Regular Crew

Good tips,

I was always amazing by the 9/11 doc. It's a case of being in the right or more like the wrong place. But in the end they sold there footage for a lot of money. I give that guy credit for not stopping to role film. Goes to show you bring all you're batteries and a few extra tapes.

When on the road I always have my camera out and at the ready. I'm in Mexico for a second shot right now, but last time I was here I left a day before a big earthquake. At the time of day I would have been able to turn my camera and start shooting before it hit 7.6 magantude.

Not that I want to be in a big earthquake, but if it happens, I would like to have my camera.

Michael
Old March 20th, 2003, 02:33 AM   #43
New Boot

Lets do this.

Hi,

My name, is josh. im new to the sight, newly registerd. this is my 1st post. i have bin looking at the sight for a bit now, it helped me to chose my XL1-S. I love it so. i have 5 years EX as a camera man, BETA cam and all that.my stuff was on an NBC affiliate , it was the best time I ever had working. you guys know what I mean. standing in the hot sun with a scratchy throat giving you the need to scream bloody murder ,

interviewing the subject and shooting them at the same
time because the production company thought the story
was so small it did not need a field producer. you
know , how the interview's answer go's on and on and
on. who cares what you think just finish your answer
so I can breath.

I think the longest answer I ever had was like
35 45 min's long, and with just a few deep breath's.
god I miss it! well , now I am 28 and disabled, with saver
arthritis thanks to genetics. so no more heavy old
BETA cams for me, but I did love the way it felt on my
shoulder. now I got my canon, so look out. I also want to
make some films.

I think this idea is great a freelance camera operators network, I
would pay dues no problem. I just want to work. for the record I live near San Francisco . :o)

sorry for the long post. any thing I can do to help I
will just e-mail me, joshuajohn@sbcglobal.net . also
on another note, I just signed up for the free
seminar on D.V light , shot, edit, in San Francisco on
4- 2-03. if any 1 is going to be there tell me so we can get together.

Josh John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2003, 02:38 AM   #44
New Boot

lets do this

Hi,

My name, is josh. im new to the sight, newly registerd. this is my 1st post. i have bin looking at the sight for a bit now, it helped me to chose my XL1-S. I love it so. i have 5 years EX as a camera man, BETA cam and all that.my stuff was on an NBC affiliate top 5 mark , it was the best time I ever had working. you guys know what I mean. standing in the hot sun with a scratchy throat giving you the need to scream bloody murder ,

interviewing the subject and shooting them at the same
time because the production company thought the story
was so small it did not need a field producer. you
know , how the interview's answer go's on and on and
on. who cares what you think just finish your answer
so I can breath.

I think the longest answer I ever had was like
35 45 min's long, and with just a few deep breath's.
god I miss it! well , now I am 28 and disabled, with saver
arthritis thanks to genetics. so no more heavy old
BETA cams for me, but I did love the way it felt on my
shoulder. now I got my canon, so look out. I also want to
make some films.

I think this idea is great a freelance camera operators network, I
would pay dues no problem. I just want to work. for the record I live near San Francisco . :o)

sorry for the long post. any thing I can do to help I
will just e-mail me, joshuajohn@sbcglobal.net . also
on another note, I just signed up for the free
seminar on D.V light , shot, edit, in San Francisco on
4- 2-03. if any 1 is going to be there tell me so we can get together.

Josh John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2003, 01:02 AM   #45
New Boot

I have a GL-1. Do you think that is good enough? Also, is this the same thing as "stringing"?
Kevin Scarlett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog