XL1S Monitor at DVinfo.net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 14th, 2002, 04:25 PM   #1
Justin Cerato
XL1S Monitor

Can anyone see any problems in using a Sony Vaio laptop TFT screen as a monitor in the field during shoots?
Old December 14th, 2002, 04:46 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus
I suppose you could do this but (a) it's an expensive, over-qualified monitor and (b) it might not be a very practical size or form factor for the typical function of a field monitor.
Lady X Films: A lady with a boring wardrobe...and a global mission.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2002, 07:27 PM   #3
XL-1s Monitor

I don't know if they have them at all Radio Shacks, but I bought a Power Acoustik 5.6" TFT monitor at our local one for $179.00 -- it is intented to be one of those in-car DVD viewers. Looks just like the ones all the DV suppliers are selling for $300-$500 and it works slicker'n snot.

This monitor will do PAL or NTSC. For a little more money, you can buy one that'll do real 16:9 or 4:3 interchangable. Another nice thing -- since it's made to be used in a car, the long power/video/audio cord works really sweet on a jib boom.

I took the shoe off an old flash unit and put it on the TFT, so now it sits atop my XL-1s just like it was made to. I power it with a 12VDC converter I also got at Radio Shack for $8.00. To get battery operation, in case I need it, I'm thinking of wiring two 6V lantern batteries in series.

There is an adapter you can get that mounts on the back of these TFT monitors... they convert a regular XL-1 battery to 12VDC; but the adapter goes for about $135.00 and I don't need battery power supply that badly.

It's not as good as using a real studio monitor; but all I use it for is framing, and it gives a much better picture than the funky XL-1s standard EVF.

So when I tape something interior and have it mounted (along with the hood I made for it), and the MA200, and the radio mic receiver, and the Vari Zoom controller, and the fuzzy on-board mic cover, the rig looks sexy as all get out.
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:43 PM   #4
New Boot

If you wear bifocals you might consider mounting your monitor on the tripod or on a shelf built to fit between the legs of the tripod.

Some of us old folks need to look down so we don't get a sore neck.

Michael Page is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2002, 06:57 AM   #5
Major Player
Hey Mike, I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with that problem. I fabricated a simple bracket and attached it to my tripod head with a large hose clamp. Anyone interested can see a picture of it at www.HighDesertRacing.com. Click on the far right picture to get a slightly larger view. By attaching it this way, the monitor pans with the camera but does not tilt.
Ed Frazier
Ed Frazier is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

Professional Video
(800) 833-4801
Portland, OR

Omega Broadcast
(512) 251-7778
Austin, TX

(973) 335-4460
Mountain Lakes, NJ

Abel Cine Tech
(888) 700-4416
N.Y. NY & L.A. CA

(800) 238-8480
Glendale, CA

Precision Camera
(800) 677-1023
Austin, TX

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog