Basic Newbie manual? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 16th, 2002, 04:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Basic Newbie manual?

I want to learn as much as possible about the XL1S and the manual is not really any kind of help.

There's a ton of info from the postings here but I was wondering if there was a site or a tutorial that started from the ground up (you know: "this is a camera..") and built on it?

I can do the basics with the camera and learn as much as possible from my DP while we're working but I can only bug him so much during a shoot before he will start asking for a raise. (G)

Thanks
Kevin Burnfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 05:57 PM   #2
Retired DV Info Net Almunus

The parent site of this forum, The XL1 Watchdog, is probably the best central resource for you. (http://www.dvinfo.net/xl1s.htm) There's no other book or site I know of that focuses as closely on this camera.

Hey, you don't have enough stuff!
Buy with confidence from our sponsors. Hand-picked as the best in the business...Really!

See some of my work one frame at a time: www.KenTanaka.com
Ken Tanaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:08 PM   #3
Major Player

If there are specific questions that you have, just put together a list and post them. You will find some pretty bright minds here. I spent close to a year lurking around before I jumped into this place.

There is so much to take in, it can be a bit daunting. Welcome aboard and fire away with your questions.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2002, 08:14 PM   #4
Wrangler

Do you mean stuff about practical applications of it's use, rather than just basic camera functions?
A great general purpose book is Digital Videos For Dummies (not saying you are a Dummy!), and they actually use an XL1 in it as an example camera. It covers a lot of stuff beyond the use of cameras. It deals with lighting, sound and other aspects of production. (Yes I sat down and flipped through the whole thing in Chapters).
Of course, you may be beyond that level. For good practical info, you can't beat a course at a local school for hands on learnin'.
Dylan Couper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog