86ing dv tapes... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 18th, 2002, 03:16 AM   #1
New Boot

86ing dv tapes...

yo yo and yo, so what if i want to bring my g4 imac with me to shoots and instead of recording the image on dv tape, i just firewire the camera into my computer and capture it that way? i'll also be recording onto tape as a backup, i was just wondering if besides it looking cool to onlookers, would i be helping the image of the camera since i'm pulling straight off the ccd's. or am i wrong, is there a difference between recording to tape and recording directly to a harddrive?
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 03:26 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Urm... what's up with the yo...

Anyway, no, it won't help, since the firewire-output is already compressed. With the XL-1 there's no getting the images straight off the CCD's, even the s-video output went through the compressor I think. Some DV cameras with a 25 pin connector (JVC GY-DV550), can use that studio-connector to send uncompressed video out.

So basically you be dragging along an extra box, and you'd need someone extra to operate it...

Bar3nd
Old December 18th, 2002, 04:01 AM   #3
New Boot

thanks...

yo yo,

thanks for the input about the output.

yo yo,
-p
bokkus37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 05:42 AM   #4
Wrangler

As to benefits, what you mght save/avoid is any dropouts on the tape that you are using.

However, in addition to lugging more weight, you may be providing additional keys someone could accidently press and cause the camcorder to change operating mode; e.g., pause recording.
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 06:44 AM   #5
Warden

I've recorded directly to hard drive on several occasions. The main benefit to me was being able to edit the project as we shot. It also saved the time it takes to capture the clips in the studio. It required a few changes in the order the scenes were shot. The editor wanted a couple of scenes shot early, so he'd have more time to work on graphics. We also made a tape backup incase the HD developed a problem.

The project was shot and edited in record time and within the clients imposed deadline. I think the total time was about 16 hours of work. We started about 8am and delivered the finished piece (including a DVD with menus) the next day at noon.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 07:06 AM   #6
Major Player

Jeff,

Did you use the Firestore device for the direct DV storage? If not what did you use?
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 08:23 AM   #7
Warden

No, we used an Avid. They have a Capture Now function that records whatever you feed it. I hope FCP adds a similar function.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 08:28 AM   #8
Major Player

Hmmm...I thought that FCP has the ability to "Capture Now" while in the program. Never tried the function, so I could be WAY off base.

The Firestore is a great device. I like the ability to capture video direct to a firewire drive. It makes life so much better.
Houston, Texas
Paul Sedillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2002, 08:50 AM   #9
Warden

Your right. It does have capture now also. You have to set it to non-device control so it doesn't wait for TC. We used an Avid because the client wanted Betacam SP. I didn't edit that project, I was DP. Avids are easier to find (rent) that accept analog.

Jeff
Jeff Donald is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog