DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   Canon extention cable for mike (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/55521-canon-extention-cable-mike.html)

Eddie Pelfrey December 4th, 2005 09:03 PM

Canon extention cable for mike

Looking for an extention cable for the shotgun mike cant seem to find one can not get rid of the zoom noise with out getting the mike away from the camera.

Eddie

Mike Teutsch December 5th, 2005 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey
Looking for an extention cable for the shotgun mike cant seem to find one can not get rid of the zoom noise with out getting the mike away from the camera.

Eddie

Eddie,

You might want to check out your cameras zoom noise, or compare with another camera. I have never heard zoom noise from any of my cameras. Maybe the clamp is too tight and it could be loosened.

Good Luck--Mike

Lorinda Norton December 5th, 2005 11:07 AM

Hi Eddie,

Take your camera with you to an old-fashioned electronics store (you know the ones--they still "make" things?) and show them what you need. I had a cable made that extends the mic about fifteen feet. It works really well!

I had tried what Mike suggested and loosened the clamp, but it didn't really help. (Psst, Mike......maybe you've been to too many races at Daytona without ear plugs??? :)

Eddie Pelfrey December 5th, 2005 11:29 AM

zoom noise

I have tried everything suggested on this forum but the only thing that works is to completly remove the mike from the camera but the cord is only 6" long we do hunting videos would love to have an adaptor were i could use the shotgun mike and a corless mike at the same time.

Eddie

Mike Teutsch December 5th, 2005 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lorinda Norton
(Psst, Mike......maybe you've been to too many races at Daytona without ear plugs??? :)

Ya, way too many! :) Plus drag races since I was young. By the way you have not heard loud, until you've stood at the guard rail at Lion's drag strip, in California, and listened to the funnycar "Holy Toledo" run the quarter. But alas that can't be done anymore, as it was before most of the people on this forum were born! Much too much noise in the service too, tanks, guns, headsets.

With all of the abuse my ears were put through, you would never guess what did the damage. It was sitting at a radar console for about 24 hours straight during a mission in the Army. I guess there was a defect in the audio system, and I left at the end with some hearing loss that worsens with time and continually worsening tinnitus, ringing in the ears. I will never be a Douglas Spotted Eagle. Mozart and Beethoven both had severe hearing loss too though, but then I'm no Mozart!!!!!!!! :)

But on the bright side, I learned brail to compensate. My hands are sensitive and can do anything! WAIT, brail is for blindness?!?!?!? Another period of a my life wasted! Well, not really!

So please refer all of your audio questions to someone else. If your audio equipment is broken, I may be able to repair it for your, but you would have to tell me when it starts working again! :)

Good luck to all----Deaf Mike

Jimmy McKenzie December 5th, 2005 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Pelfrey
I have tried everything suggested on this forum but the only thing that works is to completly remove the mike from the camera but the cord is only 6" long we do hunting videos would love to have an adaptor were i could use the shotgun mike and a corless mike at the same time.

Eddie

The above must mean you have a dislike for the ma100 xlr adapter that allows you to do precisely what you want ... 2 mics, independant input, pro connections... just add 2 mono mics and work not with the wildly noisy canon camera mounter stereo mic...

Jack Smith December 5th, 2005 10:42 PM

Loosing the mic clamp and positional testing helped eliminate most of the zoom motor noise for me.There is an accessory isolator mount avaiable from Canon that isolates the noise, I don't have one (as I use the previously mentioned Ma100 and external mic) but reports from the forum indicate it works well.It also moves the viewfinder forward 60mm effectively moving the camera back 60mm on your shoulder.