my big decision at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 21st, 2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

my big decision

Hi there,
I know there has been much discussion about this but I am facing a decision and would appreciate you advice . I bought a Canon xl1s about three months ago - (I live in Ireland) i got it second hand from a guy who said that he used it for ten hours max. he planned to do weddings but never got round to it. anyway its in great nick- only slight mark of bruised rubber at the bottom of the iris wheel. It works great and there is a great picture - I am however suffering from buyers regret and should have done my research before I bought it . I plan to do some documentary work - maybe in the line of sports. I have read alot about the pd170 and feel that this camera would have fufilled my needs better . (I only found this website afterwards)
I think the general feeling about the pd170 is that it gives a sharper picture the Canon is warmer - PD170 is more compact and discreet which would suit my line of work better - It is rugged and can take a bit more of a bashing than the XL1s- also it is better in lowlight . Do you think that that is a fair comment? is there any other advantage over the pd170 as a run and gun .
I think the xl1s looks great but so what ? If you were me would you take the loss of cash on the chin and sell - and look at buying the Sony. I would appreciate your opinion as I know there is a great deal of expertise on this forum. I have learned anyhow to reseach before you buy - a valuable and maybe costly lesson . So guys should I take the hit and sell - I want it to be right for me but deep down I have this feeling that I made a mistake .
thanks
Barry
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I have an XL1s, and worked with a PD170 for shooting a play.

Afterwards, I still was very happy with my buying decision, because I love the ergonomics of the XL cams, I love it's rather filmic image, BUT I want to shoot narrative moviework, no docs and events.
The low light of a PD170 is NO DOUBT much better, cleaner then an XL1s.
And it's indeed more handy to carry because it's lighter, and if you are shooting such events and docs, you are fine with interlaced video.

I think for narrative work, Canon and Panasonic are the best, but for event and doc work, go for Sony.
It's a great cam, but it could be it's not the cam suited for your needs.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Wrangler

Both camcorders can do things well, and each has its relative advantages as a video tool. Neither is especially descreet or inconspicious. Sounds like your needs may be more toward the Sonys strengths.

In the final analysis, go with your love - that is the only way you will be happy. Just as some people like Fords, and others like Chevys. It is in part an emotional thing.
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:02 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Interesting, I just posted about how the gangly design of the XL1s makes it less attractive for run and gun work. The one type of work I do in that category is shooting player highlights of High School Football. At first, I shot on a tripod and schlepped the rig up and down the field. One day, the camera fell over and ripped away the tripod mount. I had to shoot handheld. It was the best shooting I'd ever done.

While the body is gangly and overweight compared to the others, it is the only one that puts the weight on your shoulder and eyecup in your face. I found I was better able to track movement and maintain a tighter shot than any other technique I'd tried. This produced great results. Also, opening the left eye while shooting helps me move around while shooting.

At this point, you own the camera. You have nothing to lose. Using it won't hurt its resale. The XL1s has a great lens with a little longer reach than the others. Go out and try it for a while.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:55 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks

thanks for the feedback - yes I almost forgot about the extra reach in the lens - thats a point worth considering alright for sports - Yes I think I will give it a go for a while - I think its more a problem of personality than the problem with the camera - For me the grass is always greener
thanks
Barry
Barry Hunt is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog