Camera Differences? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Camera Differences?

I'm possibly going to buy a XL1 or a XL2, but would rather go for the cheaper camera if possible. Could someone tell me what's the difference between the two? I'm going to use the camera to film my hunts in the upcoming years, but want to get a camera that will be adequate enough to last me for a couple of years. I've also looked at the GL2, but I'm leaning on the XL1. Hope I can get some helpful information on these wonderful cameras. Take care and happy holidays!

David Ellis
Active Duty Air Force
Wright-Patterson AFB, OH
David Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Inner Circle

First, thank you for serving our country.

Next, I think you will find some helpful articles on this site outlining the differences. I have an XL1s. Beyond the beautiful picture one gets from this camera, it is very versatile. The cost of that versatility is run and gun-ability. The camera is plain old gangly compared to the form factor of the GL2, PD170, DVX100b etc. The XL cameras are also not light. So while I absolutely love my XL1s, I am not slugging it through the woods in a hunt where mobility is a large factor. For the times where I do run and gun, I use a Spider Brace along with a body harness I designed so the camera weight (at rest) is handled by my shoulders and back instead of arms or neck. You're mileage may vary.
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Welcome David,

The XL2 is the newer version but not necessarly better for what you are going to do. More for film look and such than the XL1s. I have both, and I would recommend you start with the XL1s and then adding accessories to it like additional lenses, filters, tripod and heads etc.. The money you save getting an XL1s will buy the other items you need.

Then when you are ready to move up, the accessories you bought will work on your XL2 or even XL H1.

Best of luck and keep watching this forum for all you need.

Mike---US Army 1967-1974
Old December 23rd, 2005, 03:16 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you go for the cheaper one, go for the XL1s, and not the XL1, but I think this maybe is a stupid remark, because chances are big you'll only find an XL1s and not the XL1.

Well, the XL2 has real widescreen, is really progressive, has a much sharper image, and more features.
But the XL1s still is a great cam, and if you light well, have good actors and such, I think it won't make a difference.
The XL1s gives you maybe a more filmic image out of the box, looking at the saturated colors.

I bought my XL1s from someone on these boards who was gonna buy the XL2. Afterwards I asked him how it was, he said the new camera was perfect, but essentially, if you are creative, you could get the same results with an XL1s. Now, that's maybe a little bit exagerating, but I hope you get the point?

And what Mike says is a very good advice: the extra money can go into accesoires, and that can really be more helpfull sometimes then the extra features of the XL2.

Whatever you choose, good luck!
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog