xl1s or an xl1? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old February 26th, 2006, 06:56 PM   #16
Regular Crew

The breakdown - GL2, XL1 and XL1s

Thanks for replying. Here's what I got on the works so far let me know what ya think!

1) XL1s - $3500 maybe able to get him down to $2800 or so. 4.5 hours of use total, not used as a playback deck.
2) GL2 - $2000. New, never used. Was given to the ownder as a gift and he wants to sell.
3) XL1 - $2000. I know the seller. He has 50 hours on the camera, never used as a playback deck. The audio card was recent replaced for $400. He is a pro filmer.

So what's the best option for me. Looking for outdoor video and lowlight conditions, but of course some indoor and studio as well. All funds are CAN dollars and are within driving distance.
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:01 PM   #17
Major Player

the problem with th xl series cameras is that theres no way you can be sure of the logged hours. the seller can say anything. you can find a better deals than that in my opinion. you can find a good xl1s for under $2000. it depends on what accessories it comes with. $3500 is way too much for an xl1s. you can find an xl2 for that price.
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:07 PM   #18
Major Player

then i noticed we're looking at canadian prices.. lol.. not used to dealing with our beloved loonie.. but yeah..you cna go cheaper than that. get an xl1s.. spend less than $2000 american. (unless its got some nice gear like some manual lenses or 3x lense etc...)
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:37 AM   #19
Skyonic New York

i have an xl1 with extended batteries, lightwave mount and isolater , ma100 xlr adapter, ZD-100 Zoom Remote Controller, remote, charger, strap, manual, lens bag, all in a hard case that has been gathering dust since i got my dvx about two years ago...i would part with it for $1,500 not sure if thats the going rate...but this kit has everything you need to get started, the only thing you need is a tripod...
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 09:40 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Robert! Zing me an e-mail, maybe we can work something out. Only problem I might see is the taxes. Apparently no duty, but as I called there is a tax on the camera when it comes over. Believe it or not is 7% sales tax and 8% GST so 15% total. If it's worthwhile though a deal could be hatched.

E-mail me here: leclair18@sympatico.ca

I dont think you mentioned hours on there, so let me know.
Old February 27th, 2006, 10:32 AM   #21
Major Player

i paid $575 unexptected taxes on the border..
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:07 AM   #22
Skyonic New York

i'm not sure how to work out the whole canada thing...and i have no idea how many hours on the camera because to this day canon does not put hour meters on the camera, but i know the camera works, never been used as a deck and was one of four friends (all xl1 that i bought 4 years ago) sold the rest...i kept this as back up, but never needed it...i have a location shoot this week i can send some photos when i get back next week...

by the way whats the going rate for xl1 these days?
Robert Mann Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
i paid $575 unexptected taxes on the border..
What was that for i.e. what type of gear and amount? Canada customs told me that they charge no duty on video cameras but 15% taxes (GST, PST). If I go ahead I should probably get something in writing I guess.
Old February 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM   #24
Major Player

it was for an xl1s. the listed value was $3500 CAN.
Old February 27th, 2006, 03:28 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Maybe then it was what I was talking about, the provincial sales tax and GST?
Old February 27th, 2006, 04:31 PM   #26
Major Player

yeah.. plus the brokerage fee through ups. when i got my gl1 it was sent through usps and i wasn't charged a cent for border taxes. the xl1s was sent through ups. maybe there's a difference
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:21 PM   #27
Major Player

If you use the USPS, it's ALOT less likely that you will have to pay import taxes. I lived in France and had my mum send me audio gear for years through the USPS, never any taxes. Then once she sent something to me via UPS, and I got charged more in taxes than I paid for the device.
UPS systematically charges and declares things sent with them. The post office doesn't seem to care too much about that (unless there's additional postage due).
My $.02
Chris Luker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2006, 05:36 PM   #28
Major Player

the downside thought aht i have found with usps is that my gl1 was left out on my stairs when they delivered it. they didnt even ring the doorbell. when i went to work at like 3:00 oclock there it was.. just sitting there for anyone to take.. in the snow
Old March 1st, 2006, 09:09 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Todd
the downside thought aht i have found with usps is that my gl1 was left out on my stairs when they delivered it. they didnt even ring the doorbell. when i went to work at like 3:00 oclock there it was.. just sitting there for anyone to take.. in the snow
Yeah they do that here sometimes, but I'm not sure which company. I'm guessing UPS. They do ring the bell and sometimes they leave it but other times they leave a note and you have to pick it up. I guess it depends on the delivery dude and his/her mood!

The dude with the $3500 CAN XL1s wont budge, says I dont know about the market, pfft, I'm sure it's him that has no idea. He said I should look for a lower model or GL2. What a dufus. I know he wont get that price for it and I certainly wont pay it. Any ideas where to look locally for a used camera? I'll drive pretty much anywhere in Ontario.
Old March 13th, 2006, 01:03 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Update: I picked up a used XL1s off Ebay for $2400 CAN, few extra batteries and MA 200. The guy was 3.5 hours away, so I made the trip yesterday. Nice fella, hooked it up for me and ran some tap and everything so far is as advertised. I look forward to getting going!
Christopher Leclair is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog