DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   xl1s or an xl1? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/56838-xl1s-xl1.html)

Andrew Todd December 26th, 2005 12:51 PM

xl1s or an xl1?

i want to buy an xl. I dont have the money to spend on a xl2 (maybe in a fe years) I'm considering buying an xl1s. Should i even look at the xl1 as a cheaper alternative or is there enough difference between the xl1s and xl1 to justify the cost?

i know most of the differences between the two but i want the opinion of someone who has owned both when it comes to picture quality
Thank you

Mathieu Ghekiere December 26th, 2005 05:00 PM

Depends on what your budget is but:

1. The XL1s has SOME good extra features (better low light performance, 16/9 guidelines, to name a few...)

2. I think it will be difficult to even find a XL1 at this moment.

3. IF you find one, chances are big it will be already very much used. Hell, even an XL1s will still be very used, let alone an XL1.

4. Price for an XL1s these days, second hand, isn't that expensive anymore.

So my advice would be: go for the XL1s.

Andrew Todd December 26th, 2005 05:04 PM

its pretty easy to find both on ebay

Andrew Todd December 26th, 2005 05:05 PM

whats a good price to pay for an xl1s right now?

Mathieu Ghekiere December 26th, 2005 05:10 PM

I paid 2500 euros for mine a year ago, just when the XL2 arrived.
Only had 6 hours use, so I considered it to be a good price.

A buddy of me payed 2000 euros for an XL1s + tripod + MA-100 adapter.
Had much hours on it, but still in a good condition.
Euro is a bit more then a dollar, mind you.

I don't know, I thought 2000 euros was a very good price, I think even today 2500 dollar for the XL1s isn't that much, if it's in a good condition and maybe comes with a couple of extras.

Cor Vermeulen December 26th, 2005 05:29 PM

I bought a XL1-s a few weeks ago for Euro 2250. About two years old and in good shape.
This was including the MA-200 shoulder extension, but only with one battery BP930 with charger. No other accessories (no windjammer, no bag, etc).

Waldemar Winkler December 26th, 2005 07:09 PM

If your tendency leans towards an XL1, look to the GL1 instead. Much more of a camera, in my opinion. I own a GL1 as well as an XL1s. I purchased the XL1s in Jan, 2005 for $2600US with MA 100, microphone shock mount, fancy windscreen. road case, four big batteries, and all appropriate power supplies.

The XL1s is a much more flexible camera.

Do the becst you can with what your have to spend.

Henry Cho December 26th, 2005 08:14 PM

i owned an xl1, and upgraded to an xl1s about a year ago. both cameras can produce beautiful images, but i have to say the xl1s, without question, is the superior camera. the price difference between the xl1 and xl1s on ebay is not very significant. that said, i suggest going for the xl1s. either way, you should send it in to canon service once you get your hands on it for a cleaning and tune-up. chances are the camera will not be covered under warranty, and, depending on the wear and tear on the camera, this can set you back at least a few hundred bucks. just a warning to plan for it. i'd agree with mr. winkler's comment on looking at the gl1 as an option if interchangebale lenses aren't important to you. it's definitely more user friendly out of the box, but a 14x or 16x manual lens on the xl1 is still a killer setup, and i'd take that over a gl1 or gl2 any day.

Andrew Todd December 28th, 2005 10:56 AM

I'm actually in the process of selling my gl1. I've found an xl1s that i'm heavily leaning toward. The gl1 had what i was looking for when i purchased it but ive definately outgrown it. I think once i get the xl1s ill have to start looking into getting the 3x as well. Will the 16x be good enough for the time being in your opinions?

Mathieu Ghekiere December 28th, 2005 12:09 PM

Yes.
I think the other lenses are great if you can afford them. (I don't have them)
I think once you have them, you can't live without them, but in the meantime, you're just fine.

Dean Orewiler February 7th, 2006 03:02 PM

the 16x is just fine with the XL1S

I'm finding that the 16x is just fine. I don't know what all of the hype is about with the manual lens. If you use proper lens techniques, you can do a creep zoom or a fast zoom - and if you have edit out some of the lag time, not a biggie. If you want to rack focus, you simply just tape index marks on the lens barrel. I've only used the manual lens once, and I didn't see what the big deal was.

Mathieu Ghekiere February 7th, 2006 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dean Orewiler
I'm finding that the 16x is just fine. I don't know what all of the hype is about with the manual lens. If you use proper lens techniques, you can do a creep zoom or a fast zoom - and if you have edit out some of the lag time, not a biggie. If you want to rack focus, you simply just tape index marks on the lens barrel. I've only used the manual lens once, and I didn't see what the big deal was.

Dean I'm not in the market for the manual lens, because you CAN'T rack focus with the standard lens, because it's a servo. Well, you could rack it, very difficult, if you indeed put markers on it, and don't use the lens to much between your try outs. But it isn't a vast system or distance, the focus barrel yields 360 degrees. So with the Manual lens you can REALLY rack focus decently without much extra difficulties, as with the standard lens.
Don't get me wrong, I love the standard lens, but now that I have a shoot coming up (well, in a couple of months) where rack focus will be important because of some dollyshots and stuff, I want the manual lens because the standard one won't fitt the bill (or what's the expression?)
Having said that, I shot 3 or 4 shorts with the standard lens in the meanwhile, with some focus changes too, and they turned out great, but it was a much bigger effort shooting them then it would have been with the manual lens.

Andrew Todd February 7th, 2006 04:05 PM

i got an xl1s, a letus35 and some 35mm lenses... so the 16x will be fine. Marco Wagner sold me the camera and was an awesome seller. it will be arriving in the mail tommorow. i cant wait cuz ive had the letus for the past week and a half now and have been getting anxious to try her out.

Christopher Leclair February 26th, 2006 04:21 PM

If there are any more opinions out there, I would appreciate them. I recently got an offer for a used XL1 but was really focused on the XL1s. What about a GL2? I've also found a local GL2 at a good price. Would the GL2 outcompeat the XL1? Really tough to decide on what is the best option vs. good enough option. I am mostly looking for outdoor video, wildlife and low light conditions.

Andrew Todd February 26th, 2006 05:11 PM

hey chris.. i went from my gl1 to an xl1s.. i love it.. and am extremely happy with my choice. image is alot better than gl1.. i know gl2 has better image but what i love about the xl series is the added control you have,,, more options to give you better control over the videomaking process ... (more things to play with :) )