DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/)
-   -   best audio set up (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xl1s-xl1-watchdog/5702-best-audio-set-up.html)

Bob Zimmerman December 29th, 2002 02:49 PM

best audio set up

Whats the best audio set up to us if I want to add sound or voice over later using the XL1s? 16bit 2 channel or 12 bitSt-1 2 channel?
Is anyone better for adding sounds, voices, music, once I have it in the computer(imac) and add it there?

Phil French December 29th, 2002 07:34 PM

I think you will want to use the 16-bit two channel to get the best sound possible and to be compatible with FCP (if that's the program you are using). I'm not sure how you are planning to do the voice over - I'm assuming directly onto your hard drive. I use FCP2 and I turn device control (in capture settings) to non controllable device and I capture each phrase one at a time using the balanced inputs of my MA-200. FCP3 has a voice over feature built in and I assume it works in a similiar manner except directly on to the time line as the clips are playing (never actually seen this done).

Don Palomaki December 30th, 2002 05:21 AM

Best setup is probably to capture in 16-bit mode and then add the voice over in your NLE, with the assistance of some audio editing software.

CUT Productions December 30th, 2002 02:43 PM

The method by which you shoot sound is irrelevant to the quality of your voice over recordings but will obviously have an impact on the quality of your final mix.

16 bit 48khz is a standard broadcast format (compatible with DAT) and it will always be better to shoot with this sound format - it is extremely rare to need 4 channels 'live' and this is perhaps better achieved with a 4:2 mixer.

How you record your voice-overs is another matter. It would be advisable to find the best method into your NLE possible - this depends on the sound card options available with your particular NLE. Alternatively you may use the DV deck as an input - I use mine fed with a balanced mixer setup - the benefit here is that after the analogue mixer (and A to D conversion) it is pretty much digital all the way - and my NLE (Avid XpressDV) meters show a 10 to 20 db lower noise level, though I must say I can hardly hear the difference from the sound card input. Bear in mind that this set-up is best for 'wild' recording because of the A to D delay. I also have a sound-proofed booth and a professional studio condensor microphone - these have more bearing on the quality of the final result.

Regards.

Bob Zimmerman December 30th, 2002 03:27 PM

I don't have any of that stuff Cut and Paste!! Just the XL1s and a imac. With iMovie. I hope to get FCP in a few months. But this is just a small project for work. It won't be on TV or anything. I doubt the little built in mic on the iMac will be good enough. It might work ok. If nothing else I'll try it. I'll have to check and see about running a mic to the computer. Or is there a way to hook the XL1 to the computer and go through that way?

CUT Productions December 30th, 2002 04:08 PM

Zimvg304,

You can use the XL1s perfectly in the manner I outlined but you should get a good mike of some description - I have a couple of Shure 16As that I use for music - quite cheap but very crisp.

Alternatively, at a pinch, you could use the XL1 s's mike - not ideal but if you remove it from the holder and keep it pointed away from the camera it's quality is passable - definitely better than the iMac.

Regards.