Average wireless mic setup? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog

Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog
Can't find it on the XL1 Watchdog site? Discuss it here.

Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Average wireless mic setup?

Hey guys, im looking for a good average quality wireless mic setup that is fairly cheap, for small interviews, and fun things like that, thanks
Shane Miesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Supports LPFM Radio

Depends how you define average. Not trying to be coy. But the lowest-cost wireless system I'd use is the Sennheiser Evolution 100 G2 system. $500ish for transmitter, receiver, and OK lav mic. Some people on these boards prefer other low-cost systems, but not me. And even those alternatives are $400+ ish...

If you're doing sit-down interviews, you could just use a hard-wired mic (ie- run a cable from the mic to your camera or mixer). That will be cheaper and sound better.

My $2000ish wireless systems sound almost as good as a $30 cable.

But different situations require different solutions.

Best,

Jim
Jim Feeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 01:50 AM   #3
Wrangler

Shane,

If $400+ makes you cringe, check out the T-series of Shure wireless mic systems. I got a lav about three years ago for around $250, and I think it sounds okay. I've rented it out to a guy who used it for training videos and thought it sounded acceptable enough that it didn't detract from the content, and even my "audio snob" (lol!) engineer friend humors me by saying it's not too bad. Not as good as systems $400+, but a decent place to start if you're on the tightest of budgets and need something now. :)
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:24 AM   #4
Wrangler

At the low cost end are some of the VHF systems from Azden. Adequate for most wedding work and informal fun. No need (except personal preference) to spend a lot more if this is just for fun, not for income/work, and sound quality is not a major issue for you.
Old January 4th, 2006, 11:02 AM   #5
New Boot

I'm looking for wireless mic

not sure how it works, do we remove the "default" mic and replace with wireless mic adoptor?
do we attach the wireless mic adoptor to the back of XL1s?
google with the term "VHF systems from Azden". how is the "WMS-PRO System" with XL1s?
http://www.studio1productions.com/wireless.htm

have anyone ever try this?
Azden WHX-PRO Camera Mountable VHF Handheld System with WR Pro Receiver and WMT Pro Transmitter/Microphone
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/largeimages/3654.jpg
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ku=3654&is=REG
Hai Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2006, 05:44 PM   #6
Wrangler

Lots of options with the XL1 family. A few common approaches include:

You can use 4-channel mode and use the wireless on Channels 3 and/or 4, and keep the standard mic audio for ambient sound.

You can connect the wireless to Audio 1 inputs and just leave the standard mic attachend, not in use.

You can remove the standard mic if you like to save a bit of weight, and conenc tthe wireless to the AUDIO 1 input jacks, or to the standard mic input. Just be aware that the standard mic's input jack only takes mic level outputs.

Mount the receiver where it is convenient? Maybe in the shoe.

I've used an Axden WDR-Pro over the past 5+ years with the XL1 with satisfactory results tor training videos, wedding, and the like.
Old January 8th, 2006, 06:26 PM   #7
Major Player

Generally speaking, acceptable reliability can be had for around $100 per system. The more you spend, the better the quality. In other words, absense from stress is directly related to price.

I've used the Azden WR-Pro 2 channel off and on for five years. I thought it would be a wise choice when I was getting started. It has been a disappointment in just about every respect.

If you want to stay in the low price bracket, take a look at Nady products http://www.nadywireless.com. They sell a single channel, camera mounted receiver with the choice of either a lapel or hand mic transmitter that performs rather well. It is VHF, and offers a limited choice of frequencies. Therefore, do your homework and identify which of the frequencies available will will experience the least amount of interference from TV stations in your local area. Most, but not NADY, wireless microphone manufacturers offer broadcast frequency issue information in the support sections on their websites. My favorite site for this information is audio technica's web site. It is the easiest for me to read.
Getting back to the Nady product for a moment, note that a lot of plastic is in the construction of this product, so make a note to handle lovingly. Also, and this is very important, only purchase from Nady if you personally call them. It is the only way to insure you will indeed get what you ordered.

If you wish to go into a higher price range, consider the Shure T series. Very good quality.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XL and GL Series DV Camcorders > Canon XL1S / XL1 Watchdog